• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ways to beat coronavirus after lockdown"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Irrespective of timing, hoarding is hoarding
    It doesn't mean it's always 'a bad thing'. Context is important.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Not where we live - always get an invoice from tradesmen and always pay via bacs. Even our gardener, who only charges £10 per hour wants to be paid via bacs and not cash.
    Yep last time I used a plumber it was bacs.

Cash is too hard to deposit.

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    In the same way that Brexit means Brexit?

Would it be wrong to stock up on toilet paper now? Every store is awash in toilet paper, I could take home 25 packs and it wouldn't stop one person from buying anything.
    I've said it before, this demonization of "greedy hoarders" as the reason that shelves are empty was a distraction for the simple minded. The real reason was a failure of the supply chains because the grocery stores built them inadequate in order to save money.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    Yes, except I got in so early it wasn't actually hoarding. The shelves were still full and %99 of people hadn't figured out what was coming so my shopping didn't stop anyone else from getting anything. In fact, it was helpful because when there was an actual shortage of TP I didn't need to buy.

Does anyone remember the post on here about what kind of things the people missed during the siege of Sarajevo? After reading that I immediately went out shopping.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Builders, plumbers, sparkies, chippies, etc all live by cash. The number of people I know that work in the trade, live in big houses and drive flash motors that have never made a profit on paper is incredible......
    Not where we live - always get an invoice from tradesmen and always pay via bacs. Even our gardener, who only charges £10 per hour wants to be paid via bacs and not cash.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Or you could get a small stick, often found in the vicinity of trees and free for the taking
    I tried that but even if I'm succesful in getting the dog off the stick then it's covered in dog mouth goo that is likely even worse for health than the virus.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Or you could get a small stick, often found in the vicinity of trees and free for the taking

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    I use some gloves just for that, then put them in a plazzy bag for at least 3 days to ensure any virus is dead before re-using. A cheap phone stylus (4 for £2 at the local market, if it's still open) may be the better long term option, if this is going to be ongoing long term.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    What do you think unauthorised overdrafts pay for?

Who do you think ultimately pays card transaction fees at retailers, restaurants and at ATMs?
    I don't have unauthorised overdrafts set up.
    You pay a fee at an ATM?

I get transaction fees at retailers get lumped on - no different to any other costs, such as supply chain and marketing. That's a retailers business and wholesalers consider that too but it's no different to them including the costs of downtime for banking cash.

AtW is just in smug ****** mode again. I think isolation is getting to him because there are no squirrels for him to molest.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    One of my current accounts is free. The other has a monthly fee but that works out cheaper than the gadget and other insurances bundled in with it would do separately.
    What do you think unauthorised overdrafts pay for?

Who do you think ultimately pays card transaction fees at retailers, restaurants and at ATMs?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    At petrol stations, just soak the keypad with petrol to sterilise it. Problem solved.
    Perfect match

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    One of my current accounts is free. The other has a monthly fee but that works out cheaper than the gadget and other insurances bundled in with it would do separately.
    If you believe your bank account is free then you are an idiot, which kind of forms a pattern now - Brexit, conspiracy theory about millions of dead in China.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Free banking does not exist in the UK too, everybody pays.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    At petrol stations, just soak the keypad with petrol to sterilise it. Problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    I find it odd that ATMs don’t do contactless. I can pay up to something like £250 in a shop with a double-click on my Apple Watch and a wave near the machine, yet to get the same amount out of a cash machine I have to touch it?
    Same with petrol stations. Now all encouraging pay at pump but no contactless option (I've seen) due to normal £99 limit when putting card in first, so have to touch the buttons that everyone else will be touching.

I use some gloves just for that, then put them in a plazzy bag for at least 3 days to ensure any virus is dead before re-using. A cheap phone stylus (4 for £2 at the local market, if it's still open) may be the better long term option, if this is going to be ongoing long term.

So AtW's informative post is right, we'll adapt to the situation as for sure lockdown and social distancing as it is can't go on for months and months until a vaccine is found. Improvements to behaviour and consumer interaction processes will be made.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X