• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Elephant in the room"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Common cold / Flu, there is an immunity, however it keeps mutating that new versions keep popping up.
    I feel much the same about the sockies that appear on CUK.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    To my knowledge, human's have not developed immunity to ANY corona viruses yet (Common cold, SARs, Flu, etc), so what will make this one different?

What are the Cukker's crackpot theories.
    Common cold / Flu, there is an immunity, however it keeps mutating that new versions keep popping up.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Absolutely.

There are a few people who have a pretty good idea. But even their knowledge is based on a lot of unknowns.

The problem is that the media likes definite statements to hang a person by, rather than accepting that what we know at the moment is based on a lot of caveats and is subject to change.

I have no doubt there is some information being withheld from the public because the public wouldn't react well to some of the harsh realities. (Queue: A Few Good Men)

Madness lies in worrying over things you cannot control. Take sensible precautions, plan for the worst and hope for the best.
    This

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Pity we can't get different viruses to attack each other. Maybe we could stoke tensions between them with a bit of fake news.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Absolutely.

There are a few people who have a pretty good idea. But even their knowledge is based on a lot of unknowns.

The problem is that the media likes definite statements to hang a person by, rather than accepting that what we know at the moment is based on a lot of caveats and is subject to change.

I have no doubt there is some information being withheld from the public because the public wouldn't react well to some of the harsh realities. (Queue: A Few Good Men)

Madness lies in worrying over things you cannot control. Take sensible precautions, plan for the worst and hope for the best.
    It has always been the way. If you ask a scientist for an opinion, you'll generally get a bunch of nuance, conditionality and appropriate uncertainty. The press has a really hard time distinguishing between qualities of expertise (like every other area of work, you get your scooties and you get your true experts) and conveying scientific uncertainty, including in the very best expertise.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Apparently rat poison also works against the virus! Everyone, here and in the press has basically absolutely no idea about this virus. You can read one article in the press and a couple of pages later, one refuting the original. Even the researchers don't know enough about it to give a 100% accurate answer. Some say that getting it will give you future immunity (giving rise to the 'Immunity Certificate') yet others say this may not happen and another lot say, you could probably get it, and it will be worse. By cutting and pasting articles and posting links, people are just adding more and more to the FUD that is out there and I'm pretty sure that this is causing some anxiety to some people on here
    Absolutely.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Apparently rat poison also works against the virus! Everyone, here and in the press has basically absolutely no idea about this virus. You can read one article in the press and a couple of pages later, one refuting the original. Even the researchers don't know enough about it to give a 100% accurate answer. Some say that getting it will give you future immunity (giving rise to the 'Immunity Certificate') yet others say this may not happen and another lot say, you could probably get it, and it will be worse. By cutting and pasting articles and posting links, people are just adding more and more to the FUD that is out there and I'm pretty sure that this is causing some anxiety to some people on here

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    There's some evidence that having had the BCG offers a level of protection against respiratory viruses.

Can an Old Vaccine Stop the New Coronavirus? - The New York Times

Trigger warning: science article written by a journalist.
    I was reading about this just yesterday, again very interesting.

I don't know whether I would want a BCG again, mine went poisonous for some reason and left a scar the size of a 50p coin

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I couldn't care less about your intention. You post unsubstantiated crap, and I'll socially isolate you for a day or so.

The same might happen if I find you too annoying.
    Whatever, that last sentence rathet let's you down actually.

As I said previously I was completely prepared to leave it, you seem intent on carrying it on.

Still, that's completely a forum moderators perogative so you just do whatever makes you feel better

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    6 ft underground?
    Now we're back to zombies.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I couldn't care less about your intention. You post unsubstantiated crap, and I'll socially isolate you for a day or so.
    6 ft underground?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    I had my BCG about half a century ago.

It was nasty.

I wonder if it's still doing something.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    There's some evidence that having had the BCG offers a level of protection against respiratory viruses.

Can an Old Vaccine Stop the New Coronavirus? - The New York Times

Trigger warning: science article written by a journalist.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I'm certainly not trying to scare people actually, completely the opposite.

The same might happen if I find you too annoying.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I would hasten to add: immunity by virtue of genetics is by no means known for coronaviruses but it has happened for other pathogens.

It was more a pedantic comment that not all immunity is from exposure.

Maybe future generations - those that will be part of the Christmas/New Year baby boom, for example - could be born with some level of immunity as epigenetic changes could (not proven, haven't even seen a snifter of a suggestion) slightly change gene expression and give a level of protection. Or the virus horribly mutates germ cells and we end up with a bunch of lizards being born.
    Very interesting none the less .

Both Mr Ike and Zeity will be most happy if this leads to a greater population of lizards.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X