• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: PING: Lost It

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PING: Lost It"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Blimey it just shows how luky most of us are.

So glad you are getting better, so sorry about your Grandchild, your and your daughter's loss.

My mum pooed into a stoma bag (the joy of cancer) for years its unpleasant but a lot better than the alternative. Get your family to be frank not embarrassed about it. But at least your wife can tell you that you are full of tulip without being offensive (until you check the bag and realise its empty).

Obviously your days spelunking are probably over but running your business and travelling the world are entirely possible well they were for my Mum.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Great Parks View Post
    ...and there I was thinking someone had lost some golfing apparel :
    And there was me thinking it was a bit quiet on the sockie front.

Leave a comment:

• Great Parks
    replied
    ...and there I was thinking someone had lost some golfing apparel

Glad you're back to the land of the living.
    Last edited by Great Parks; 11 March 2021, 10:41.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Dunno where to start on this but seeing as you are posting here still that is a big thumbs up, so sorry about your daughter though

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    A true contractor keeps billing till the last breath.
    All the best for your health

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Fuuuuuuck. That is a tale!

Glad to hear you're coming out the other side. Sorry about the loss of your grandchild; hope your daughter is ok.

What caused the bowel explosion?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Really sorry about your grandchild. May you live to see your many great grandchildren.

I hope you got tea eventually.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Hurrah for Lost It!

Last contractor sitting!

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Well done, you are alive & contracting. That's two signs of life anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost It View Post
    So I had to learn how to walk, talk, eat, drink, swallow, get my heart to stop beating at 140bpm, try and get my head around what was happening and what had happened, as far as I was concerned I went to sleep and woke up the next day pretty much...

And on 8th October they wheeled me out of hospital, I could just about walk with a stick about 20m if someone held me up, and then I was plonked into my recliner and wifey made me some Egg and Chips. Best smell, best meal I've ever had...

I had an Illeostomy, so I "poo" into a stoma bag, that's it for the rest of my life, and I've been pretty kind of depressed but I figured if I was meant to die I would during my stay in hospital so I have so smartened my thought processes up.

My GP and the guy at the hospital reckoned I should probably retire, and not to even think about work until a year or so because I simply won't have the stamina... By which time I'll be 65..

Well what do they know.

This is my first shift on a 55 week contract, unfortunately under Umbrella because the Ltd Co might as well just die now, and I'm still only 64 so not even close to retiring.

I figure I have 4 lives left...

Never lose faith people.
    Just a tip. In summer don't sit near a fan wearing your stoma bag. The last thing people want is the tulip hitting the fan.
    Last edited by Paddy; 11 March 2021, 09:57.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    So I had to learn how to walk, talk, eat, drink, swallow, get my heart to stop beating at 140bpm, try and get my head around what was happening and what had happened, as far as I was concerned I went to sleep and woke up the next day pretty much...

And on 8th October they wheeled me out of hospital, I could just about walk with a stick about 20m if someone held me up, and then I was plonked into my recliner and wifey made me some Egg and Chips. Best smell, best meal I've ever had...

I had an Illeostomy, so I "poo" into a stoma bag, that's it for the rest of my life, and I've been pretty kind of depressed but I figured if I was meant to die I would during my stay in hospital so I have so smartened my thought processes up.

My GP and the guy at the hospital reckoned I should probably retire, and not to even think about work until a year or so because I simply won't have the stamina... By which time I'll be 65..

Well what do they know.

This is my first shift on a 55 week contract, unfortunately under Umbrella because the Ltd Co might as well just die now, and I'm still only 64 so not even close to retiring.

I figure I have 4 lives left...

Never lose faith people.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Welcome back!

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    Good grief.... Have I got a story for you lot...

So I got over the C19, took a little contract on building a socking great warehouse up in Corby to store all the PPE bought in (back/0 from China ready for the 2nd wave of C19..

Finished the contract, had a few weeks doing not much at all watching my money disappear, because no help at all from the government..

Then Tuesday, 1st of September I think it was, I was suffering the worst dose of constipation ever, it was so bad my wife called me an ambulance (bit upset, I always thought I was more of a Jaguar) and they came and took me in..

And I don't remember much after that until a guy came up to me and said pretty much "What's the difference between you staying in the bed the rest of your life or getting up and walking around?" I didn't have an effing clue what he was talking about.

Then someone who I presume was my surgeon walked up to me with a whole crowd of people and said "This is a conversation I never thought I was ever going to have" which kind of shook me a bit because, well, I wasn't really aware of what had been happening.

In a nutshell. My Bowel had exploded just above where the poo comes out of your bum, and I had been merrily filling the space up with poo for quite some time. Then the fun started, they had to cut me open from base of diaphragm to just above my nuts pretty much, presumably jetwash all the crap out, cut out the rest of my bowel.

But in between times, I was in a coma for 24 days... And I didn't know that when you are in a coma your body "eats" your muscle mass away until it can't eat any more. So this is all your muscle, heart, arms, legs, throat, tongue, you name it. Kind of messes your brain up too.
    I got that thing where all your organs start to die, in fact, one thing I do recall, I saw my daughter and her mum stood by the side of the bed saying Goodbye to me, and I remember clear as day thinking "Why are they saying goodbye? I'm going nowhere until I've met my grandchild". My daughter was pregnant you see... But she lost it because of the stress of me having my kidneys fail, my liver almost giving up etc. etc.

Anyway they had given up on me because I wouldn't wake up apparently (please understand my actual thought processes are confused still) and they were about to fit me up with a scan to see if there was any brain activity (I think they'd struggle to find that on a good day if I'm honest), I had told my family if I was ever in a PVS to just turn me off, it was close... and apparently when they were coming for me to take me for the scan I stared directly at the nurse and said "Tea!". I remember even though she was fully masked up the look on her face above the mask, she disappeared and next thing there were nurses, doctors, a mexican digging a trench, my daughter and her boyfriend feeding me ice cream etc... Lots of weird dreams. Didn't get my tea...

So in a nutshell I lost 17 kg of body mass, so what this guy at the start was trying to get me to do was learn how to walk. Move my arms, anything to get my muscles working. I couldn't even climb out of bed

Leave a comment:

• Hertsseasider
    replied
    Take care Lost It, good to hear from you

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    cheers for updating us, glad you are feeling better!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X