• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Goodbye to contracting..."

Collapse

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I am shortly to finish what will be, I think, my last ever contract role. (Been offered a perm role fairly close to home). What a really strange feeling. Do I have to leave the forum?
    Things change. You'll be back. I retired at xmas, 12 weeks later, shrunken pension pot, locked in, and a wfh contract offer comes along...….

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    That barbed strap-on was only meant as a novelty gift.

bouquet of barbed arrgh?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    I remember my permie days. I used to get 2.5% bonus while people higher up in the food chain got 10%.
    Never again
    I remember the bonus scheme always been redesigned in such a way that we never saw it (even though we were the most profitable part of the business)..

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    I remember my permie days. I used to get 2.5% bonus while people higher up in the food chain got 10%.
    Never again

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I've stuck around to watch the PC and NLUK show mainly.

That and to see which way the future goes. FTCs on big bucks means hassle-free freelancing and is a step change from either dealing with umbrellas (no offence Lucy!) or having the faff of running a business that you haven't got time to grow because you're too busy living out of a suitcase.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Stick around. Keep the mindset ready for your appraisals, it's the only time you get to 'negotiate'. Working for larger places has an upside that you can move up/sideways into something more interesting.
    I was a contractor for 30+ years and I can tell you that the client side has changed dramatically in that time.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Hang around. I went permie 5 years ago, then returned to contracting 5 months later, stealing my emoloyers' client.
    Did you run off together hand in hand?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    If not a little more painful
    That barbed strap-on was only meant as a novelty gift.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    WVS.

I was very careful choosing who I wanted to go permie with. I'm with a small niche consultancy where you work with the owners and 1:1 aren't necessary as they see what you do all the time.
    I'm 50% perm with a similar company, founded by contractors - but it grew and employed permies who feel unloved if they don't get appraised, so now everyone has one annually. I think it gives a couple of directors' partners something to do as well. (Pretendy HR managers).

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I am shortly to finish what will be, I think, my last ever contract role. (Been offered a perm role fairly close to home). What a really strange feeling. Do I have to leave the forum?
    Hang around. I went permie 5 years ago, then returned to contracting 5 months later, stealing my emoloyers' client.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    But still less painful than 360 reviews and your annual appraisal.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I read the last bit of this sentence wrong, the anal xmas party, definitely sounds more interesting.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I read the last bit of this sentence wrong, the anal xmas party, definitely sounds more interesting.
    If you say so... I'm sure GJABS would agree with you

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    you are only converting because they have annual Xmas parties?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    you are only converting because they have annual Xmas parties?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X