• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Official Budget 2020 thread"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It’s the crowning achievement of the Ugly Mother****er Cummings' regime

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Are you incapable of speaking without self-parody?
    naw man

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Suddenly 'death from Convanivirus' isn't starting to look so bad. He's achieved something at least...
    It’s the crowning achievement of this budget....

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    be like
    Are you incapable of speaking without self-parody?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Suddenly 'death from Convanivirus' isn't starting to look so bad. He's achieved something at least...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    So the market be like.... "so you're going to collect fewer taxes - well F234K dat I'm outta here"

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    ER not abolished, but lifetime limit reduced to £1m
    Fookers, still beats Labours 50% big time
    Last edited by AtW; 11 March 2020, 16:22.

Leave a comment:

• koalah
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    you won't get any sick pay from an umbrella. Why on earth do you think you would?
    They will provide SSP that comes from the government. No government provided SSP means no sick pay at all.
    Employers have to pay SSP. In an umbrella you are the employee of them. Says so in contract. The unfairness is that the daily rate your client pays for you to umbrella then has employers & employee NI out of it, pension contributions of both employer and employer and holiday & sick pay. The issue is that the amount they set aside for SSP is low. They then average it over all employees and they pay it. A pandemic affects business outgoings in salaries. Hence the budget announcements today as many small businesses would go under.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    I thought this was a fantastic budget, maybe the best one ever, he really got that budget done I thought.

Leave a comment:

• BlackCountryContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    It is a single paragraph saying it's going ahead..
    Sorry meant in the context of his budget speech to Parliament

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by koalah View Post
    Have just been shoved into umbrella as couldn't afford bench anymore. Umbrella company inform me that they aren't yet sure how they'd financially be able to cover SSP.
    After 4 months on bench & with tax to pay soon, no reserves. Wouldn't be able to survive on £95 a week. Rate is already £50pd lower than last outside rate as it is with more travel expenses.
    So if 80% of contractors in an umbrella needed two weeks SSP, and umbrella can't claim it back as more than 250 employees, won't many go under? I've gone with one of the bigger ones recommended on agency list.
    you won't get any sick pay from an umbrella. Why on earth do you think you would?
    They will provide SSP that comes from the government. No government provided SSP means no sick pay at all.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    awww... they're "making it easier for parents of up to 500,000 school-age children to access Tax-Free Childcare."

What about those of us with 500,001 children?
    Interesting. Maybe this answers that tough pre-election question about how many children BoJo has. Less than 500,000 (since another is on the way).

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Yes I was aware. One of the reasons I'm going to have to do a much longer bus commute as train is 8 times the price.
    I'm glad to hear that and sorry that you need to take the bus - my concern is the number of people in mid to late May who will appear on this site asking why they haven't received their expenses.

Leave a comment:

• koalah
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You are aware the umbrella company won't be able to deduct your travel expenses and you will need to pay them from your taxed income?
    Yes I was aware. One of the reasons I'm going to have to do a much longer bus commute as train is 8 times the price.
    I'm fairly up to speed on the differences. I was always outside before, and left a role when they banned contractors so this is a new role and it is definitely an inside one as it's covering an existing role in the interim for an unknown length of time.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Have just been shoved into umbrella as couldn't afford bench anymore. Umbrella company inform me that they aren't yet sure how they'd financially be able to cover SSP.
    After 4 months on bench & with tax to pay soon, no reserves. Wouldn't be able to survive on £95 a week. Rate is already £50pd lower than last outside rate as it is with more travel expenses.
    So if 80% of contractors in an umbrella needed two weeks SSP, and umbrella can't claim it back as more than 250 employees, won't many go under? I've gone with one of the bigger ones recommended on agency list.
    You are aware the umbrella company won't be able to deduct your travel expenses and you will need to pay them from your taxed income?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X