• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Most unusual contractor accommodation?"

Collapse

• edison
    replied
    An upmarket hotel converted from a prison in Basel, Switzerland. A lot of it still looked quite like a prison and there were a few jokey signs making reference to it's original past.

A Levi's themed hotel in Frankfurt where a lot of the decor were 'upcycled' Levis items like a cowboy boot turned into a bedside lamp. And they had free copies of Playboy in the room for some reason...

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by aldousmunird View Post
    Got to have breaky in the officers mess with the FT in hand whilst on danger money. Tough life.
    Jeez scooter, you ain't fooling anyone....

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Got to have breaky in the officers mess with the FT in hand whilst on danger money. Tough life.

Leave a comment:

• aldousmunird
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I tend to go a little off-piste from Travelodge and holiday inns.

I’ve stayed in a military club and a Catholic Church missionary training centre.

Where have you lot been to?

Victory Services Club - Prestigious Military Members Club, London

Hinsley Hall Conference and Pastoral Centre

Leave a comment:

• BABABlackSheep
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    That time it was Zurich Life. I have also spent some time at Nationwide too, but that was in the mid 90's when I worked for a software house. Very snazzy as I recall, big atrium reception and I think a running track ... could be wrong though, this was about 1996
    Yes, that’s Nationwide. Didn’t remember the running track though.

Anyway, for me Exhibition Hotel in York as a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Got stuck in the snow a couple of times and had to sleep in the back of me little van.
    Slept in the office enough times, and done my share of all-nighters ... but I'm guessing it would be rare on here if someone hadn't Kids of today, don't know they're born!

Actually, reminds me of another time, I was about 24-25 years old, all the energy in the world, and working in the old Price Waterhouse office on the South Side of London Bridge. Developing a new finance system with a tight deadline, finishing at 3:30 in the morning. Went back to my hotel over in Kensington and they wouldn't let me in as they thought i'd been on the lash all night Had to call security to open the door .... had a couple of hours before getting back in the office for an 8:30 debrief before presenting the system to the big boss men later that morning.
    Last edited by Whorty; 4 December 2019, 20:15.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    FS? Swindon? Nationwide?
    That time it was Zurich Life. I have also spent some time at Nationwide too, but that was in the mid 90's when I worked for a software house. Very snazzy as I recall, big atrium reception and I think a running track ... could be wrong though, this was about 1996

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Chameleons swingers club hotel in Darlaston for £22 a night will take some beating in this thread

I still feel sticky

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Got stuck in the snow a couple of times and had to sleep in the back of me little van.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Worked there for FS client for 6 weeks once when employed by a Big 4 co. Highlight for me was the week the Swindon hotels were full and I had to stay in Bath instead
    FS? Swindon? Nationwide?

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    True, but isn't there a combination code, changed daily, which one must enter into a roadside keypad to open barriers going in or out.
    Call yourself an IT contractor? Where's your hacking skills?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post

Yes a hidden trick this is, with service areas. I often use the back entrance
    True, but isn't there a combination code, changed daily, which one must enter into a roadside keypad to open barriers going in or out.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    That reminds me of a contract I did for a well known UK company that runs attractions. Went over to Germany and stayed in a Pirate themed room at the attraction there, complete with bunk beds made into a pirate ship

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
    Swindon Magic Roundabout. You sort of get used to it, but never did it in rush hour

I worked for a year in Swindon, stayed in a flat in the old town. Karaoke once a week, 5-a-side another night..survived it..just.
    Worked there for FS client for 6 weeks once when employed by a Big 4 co. Highlight for me was the week the Swindon hotels were full and I had to stay in Bath instead

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Alton Towers Hotel, it has a pirate ship in reception

we had a spiff weekend getting rat arsed with disties basically 20 - 30 year old sales people playing bed hopping. great fun.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's a fine line between fey and Uncle Monty.
    Probably. I hope I don't turn into Uncle Monty!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X