• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is your experiance contracting for tech startups?"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Never worked for a startup, but you get all that at established big corps too.

My worry with start ups would be lack of cash, both low rates, and likelihood of not getting paid.
    Exempt (for the time) from the IR35 changes. Rate better than I got with bigCo. Insurance against client going bust.

95% WFH, friendly, innovative, new tech, happy to let me get on with it, zero red tape - lots of plusses.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
    Mines so far:

Everything in a rush, no respect for quality
    Big egos
    Crazy hours
    No stability
    Pressure all the time

yours?
    Never worked for a startup, but you get all that at established big corps too.

My worry with start ups would be lack of cash, both low rates, and likelihood of not getting paid.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    The one I worked for went bust.

It's the Jonah Effect.

It was quite fun while it lasted, they did training simulators for APCs.

Obviously getting me in on a contract was the worst move they made.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    A small business by any other name. Let's stop this "startup" crap.

Was pulled in by a VC to mentor a couple of small businesses.

90% You are not going to be the the next ******* Uber you egotistical pricks.
    10% I don't want ******* equity. Cash only.

Leave a comment:

• highlandspring
    replied
    Startups

Not all startups make it to the next level, I worked for one for 3 months and ended up not getting paid for the last few weeks as they closed down.

I thought about taking them to court but they ended up going insolvent before I did anything

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    I worked for a startup once. I turned it into a shutdown.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I don't know if this is trolling but I will bite.

I worked at a startup, setting up a team of contractors and delivering a product in a record short time. It nearly cost my relationship - I didn't even realise at the time but I was really distant - entirely focused on delivering a product in unrealistic time frames.

The company had financial issues and I agreed to take shares as payment, only for a short period.

I would not recommend this experience.

On the positive, those shares are now actually worth something and I'm quite pleased with the return. The client ended up providing me with several years contracting work. I also made contacts in that industry which means more contract work.

So there you are.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I'm currently working with a startup. Bit disorganised, but no major issues.

This one? Play to your strengths

Taste test: Burger robot startup Creator opens first restaurant – TechCrunch

creator’s transparent burger robot doesn’t grind your brisket and chuck steak into a gourmet patty until you order it. That’s just one way this startup, formerly known as Momentum Machines, wants to serve the world’s freshest cheeseburger for just $6.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I'm currently working with a startup. Bit disorganised, but no major issues.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Is there much you wouldn't do for £1k a day?
    Dim would do anything for a tenner. Twice.

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    The worst professional experiences of my life as both permie and contractor have involved start-ups.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Why?
    Interesting question.

Yes, as KDW says - big egos, huge pressure to deliver and long hours.

I like working for small companies though, especially when you are the only IT bod because they tell you what they want and you go away and get on with it without agile, scrums, other IT twats in general. Like hens' teeth those gigs these days though.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Is there much you wouldn't do for £1k a day?
    I'd do pretty much anything, except sincerity. I've never managed to fake that...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Inneresting

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    I have no experiance of anything.
    Well, this chap has 15 years of it....

Leave a comment:

Working...