• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Out of the frying pan into the fire!"

Collapse

• TwoWolves
    replied
    When I started working in the city in the '90s nobody told you how to dress but it was clearly expected that you would wear a sharp suit. I had two bespoke suits made, one black and one grey. I began to find women were a lot more flirty when I wore them and started wearing them some weekends.

What's the big deal? Not as if it's Hooters. Or is it?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yes but no. I don't think business smart or 'power dressing' will ever go away however much you try change people. People will still, occasionally, and in certain situations, gravitate to a guy in a suit or lady in smart whatever womens equivalent is.

In some situations a smartly dressed team may edge it slightly over a room full of 'creative millennials' but it is highly dependant on what you are selling, the audience and so on. Suiting up because you want to be world class is a pretty ill thought out policy yes. Doing presentations, meetings in a heavily suited/professional environment then it could add some value.

APs situation certainly looks geared up to be the former of those from the little we've heard. I can't wait to see how this ends.
    And what will be the situation in 50 years time.

Also when i see people in suits power dressing the first thing you look for is what they are trying to hide - why do they need to project a persona that is not their own?

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    so what did the dress code entail?
    Tarts and Vicars

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    so what did the dress code entail?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Just tell them you are allergic to Rubber & Leather then NLyUK will put you in sack cloth!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I like to dress smart for work, much like I will (nearly) always dress for dinner.

Having worked in casual offices, I find I really don't like not having something different to wear at the weekend.

Couldn't give a monkey's what the staff wear. I have my own standards and that's good enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    As a basic rule of thumb judging someone by their attire is a pointless activity.

Most of the politicians you see are wearing expensive suits and they are the most untrustworthy ******* you can find.
    For once, entirely true, but, as ever, irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    As a basic rule of thumb judging someone by their attire is a pointless activity.
    Yes but no. I don't think business smart or 'power dressing' will ever go away however much you try change people. People will still, occasionally, and in certain situations, gravitate to a guy in a suit or lady in smart whatever womens equivalent is.

In some situations a smartly dressed team may edge it slightly over a room full of 'creative millennials' but it is highly dependant on what you are selling, the audience and so on. Suiting up because you want to be world class is a pretty ill thought out policy yes. Doing presentations, meetings in a heavily suited/professional environment then it could add some value.

APs situation certainly looks geared up to be the former of those from the little we've heard. I can't wait to see how this ends.

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I even got a colour analysis done a few weeks ago!
    Money well spent

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It’s his default signature based on the device he’s posting from, which is why you don’t see it when he posts from a web browser.
    As for putting it in his signature, that would require him understanding how to do that.

Instead, it says a lot about him when he tries to weigh in on a serious subject, then finishes off with that line.
    Don't make him cry, ffs!

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Last offer didn't work out, and summer is coming.

Got another offer at a lower rate, as contracts tend to dry up in the summer months, I thought some money is better than no money.

Contract signed, start date agreed etc. email from agent "Wishing all the best on your new role, please find DRESS CODE attached.

Ok I have worked directly for consulting companies with dress codes, one 27 pages. But end client
    What is the dress code? Is it more elaborate than 'business dress'?

I quite enjoy dressing up for work these days - I even got a colour analysis done a few weeks ago!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Part and parcel then.

As a basic rule of thumb, contractors should always dress better than the permanent staff. Get yourself down to Savile Row.

Most of the politicians you see are wearing expensive suits and they are the most untrustworthy ******* you can find.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Do you put that at the end of all your posts? Why not put it in your sig?
    It’s his default signature based on the device he’s posting from, which is why you don’t see it when he posts from a web browser.
    As for putting it in his signature, that would require him understanding how to do that.

Instead, it says a lot about him when he tries to weigh in on a serious subject, then finishes off with that line.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It gets worse, call from agent, I ask why the dress code? Manager is new in the role want to build a world class team.
    Part and parcel then.

As a basic rule of thumb, contractors should always dress better than the permanent staff. Get yourself down to Savile Row.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    It gets worse, call from agent, I ask why the dress code? Manager is new in the role want to build a world class team.

I am surprised there is't a uniform.

Challenge the person on why the feel that someone who wears a pair of trousers and jacket made of the same type and colour of material is going to be more effective than someone who does not.

They will give you some bulltulip about a smartly dressed person being better and more diligent and more committed or some rubbish

So just ask them whether grabbing a tramp off the street and putting them in a suit will magically imbue that person with diligence and commitment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X