• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Psychopaths.....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Psychopaths....."

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Thomas Aquinas was a real charmer.

With regard to heretics two points must be observed: one, on their own side; the other, on the side of the Church. On their own side there is the sin, whereby they deserve not only to be separated from the Church by excommunication, but also to be severed from the world by death. For it is a much graver matter to corrupt the faith that quickens the soul, than to forge money, which supports temporal life. Wherefore if forgers of money and other evil-doers are forthwith condemned to death by the secular authority, much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death. On the part of the Church, however, there is mercy, which looks to the conversion of the wanderer, wherefore she condemns not at once, but "after the first and second admonition", as the Apostle directs: after that, if he is yet stubborn, the Church no longer hoping for his conversion, looks to the salvation of others, by excommunicating him and separating him from the Church, and furthermore delivers him to the secular tribunal to be exterminated thereby from the world by death.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    Nobody can be certain but estimates for Islam stand at around 270 million to date.
    Would you care to provide a source for that estimate, other than Bill French/Warner?

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Look at that good Christian nation of the land of the free (USA) and the number of deaths they have, and that's just shooting each other in the street!
    The USA is not a theocracy, last time I visited it looked like they worshipped money.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Even the Home Office says the bible is a violent book: Home Office letter quotes bible verses to 'prove' Christianity is NOT a religion of peace | Daily Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I don’t think so - I didn’t say “Christianity”
    Look at the number of deaths in the Bible.
    Look at the religious/ethnic groups that hold on to it (whether they just hold on to the Torah, the Old Testament, the New Testament or some specific part). How many of those people have died or have killed others as a result of believing what they have read in it?
    And it’s as a result of a story in the Bible that hatred between the descendants of Abraham occurred and continues to this day.
    Look at that good Christian nation of the land of the free (USA) and the number of deaths they have, and that's just shooting each other in the street!

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    The numbers described in the OT are tiny, even by ancient standards. You need to learn some Persian history.

Nobody can be certain but estimates for Islam stand at around 270 million to date.

Current death rate is 84,000 per year.

Islamist extremism caused 84,000 deaths worldwide in 2017, new report says - CBS News

I do however still maintain that it is fatuous to blame religion as motives are often speculative.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    The Quran wins that title. I think you are taking the Eurocentric view of history.
    I don’t think so - I didn’t say “Christianity”
    Look at the number of deaths in the Bible.
    Look at the religious/ethnic groups that hold on to it (whether they just hold on to the Torah, the Old Testament, the New Testament or some specific part). How many of those people have died or have killed others as a result of believing what they have read in it?
    And it’s as a result of a story in the Bible that hatred between the descendants of Abraham occurred and continues to this day.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Most shocking book? Probably The Bible. It’s probably also the book responsible for the most deaths worldwide throughout history.
    Mostly because people seem not to have read it, but claim they have, or take parts of it out of context if it suits them, while ignoring the more important sections.
    The Quran wins that title. I think you are taking the Eurocentric view of history.

Mind you, always debatable in religious wars that the motive is anything less than a simple asset and wealth grab with godless intent.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I assume this poster was having a bit of a wind up. Pretty sad if hes serious.
    No I'm serious, but I didn't mention that I have two small children who are first in line with love and attention when I'm done with all those things I need to do to keep the food on the table etc.

I'll read fiction again when I retire.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Most shocking book? Probably The Bible. It’s probably also the book responsible for the most deaths worldwide throughout history.
    Mostly because people seem not to have read it, but claim they have, or take parts of it out of context if it suits them, while ignoring the more important sections.
    Those JWs never did come back to reconcile 'God is love' with God killing the first born sons of Egypt.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Here's a disturbing read..

Manifesto - The Labour Party

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Most disturbing book I've read recently is

IT Governance (6th Edition)

by Calder and Watkins

Still not sure who did what to whom, where

it involved lever arch files in the QA office.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I assume this poster was having a bit of a wind up. Pretty sad if hes serious.
    Nah, I've met people who only read technical books.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Read some matt shaw books - extreme horror. Some are ok and pretty nasty but some I found just a little bit juvenile to be honest.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X