• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone available for a good gig at Shell via Eaglecliff?"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Is your wife going to be at home? If so, then the builder can come round banging every day, you don't need to worry, everyone is happy, and you pay him on your return.
    Well lets be honest it's always good to get the boiler serviced by someone else - saves me a messy dirty job where I'll be up to my elbows in greasy fluids.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Hmm ok I'm going away over xmas ...
    Is your wife going to be at home? If so, then the builder can come round banging every day, you don't need to worry, everyone is happy, and you pay him on your return.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Not a troll.

It seems that it's someone who runs a ltd co providing resource. The resources are employees of mcltd's company. mcltd isn't doing the work himself. It looks like these employees are provided on a standard contractor contract. Not sure IR35 applies at all. The situation seems to me more like when pwc or such ilk provide a consultant for a project.

At least that's what I glean from the drip drip of information in the original thread.
    In which case, what kind of cretin fails to confirm Christmas period working arrangements? Did he just assume that his resources would be wanted on site on Christmas Eve from 9 am to 530 pm?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Not a troll.

It seems that it's someone who runs a ltd co providing resource. The resources are employees of mcltd's company. mcltd isn't doing the work himself. It looks like these employees are provided on a standard contractor contract. Not sure IR35 applies at all. The situation seems to me more like when pwc or such ilk provide a consultant for a project.

At least that's what I glean from the drip drip of information in the original thread.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    He must have been trolling. Asks our opinion and ends by telling us his lawyer agrees with him.

It was a good chuckle while it lasted.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Hmm ok I'm going away over xmas and you will not have access to the property to work.

What you gonna do? come park your white van outside and read the Sun all day?
    Does that not describe any normal working day for a builder ?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    One does not 'employ' a builder to do work in ones house. One engages a builder to carry out a specific piece of work.

And if said builder wants to bang around over the Christmas holidays, there's nothing you can do to stop him, apparently. Expect a lawsuit in the post......
    Hmm ok I'm going away over xmas and you will not have access to the property to work.

What you gonna do? come park your white van outside and read the Sun all day?

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    So if I employ a builder but say to him that I do not want him banging about over xmas and to come back on the 2nd of January I am now his employer?

I think not.
    One does not 'employ' a builder to do work in ones house. One engages a builder to carry out a specific piece of work.

And if said builder wants to bang around over the Christmas holidays, there's nothing you can do to stop him, apparently. Expect a lawsuit in the post......

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
    Credit to all those who kept posting in there. I would have given up after the first 3 pages of crap being said.
    We live to serve.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    Is it a FTC?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    Credit to all those who kept posting in there. I would have given up after the first 3 pages of crap being said.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    So if I employ a builder but say to him that I do not want him banging about over xmas and to come back on the 2nd of January I am now his employer?

I think not.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    No work, no money, no MOO. Every cloud....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I was so enjoying where that thread was going. What sort of a numpty threatens to sue Shell for saying there's no work over Christmas.

Also I just erm.. spoke at a mate, and he says that not all contractors have this furlough enforced, certainly those who are working on projects.
    Damn lol. I wish I'd have just played with him a bit rather than getting all frustrated. Would have loved you to have posted that in there.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I was so enjoying where that thread was going. What sort of a numpty threatens to sue Shell for saying there's no work over Christmas.

Also I just erm.. spoke at a mate, and he says that not all contractors have this furlough enforced, certainly those who are working on projects.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X