• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractors Advocacy Group"

Collapse

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    What??

Specifically in General?

I suppose they might lend you a truss if you asked nicely.

Otherwise, abandon all hope.

The professional fora are the place for serious questions.

This is the bear garden.

Do you like films about Gladiators?
    I've got a noisy radiator, what should i do?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Goke View Post
    I believed this to be a community, a support group of peers.
    What??

Specifically in General?

I suppose they might lend you a truss if you asked nicely.

Otherwise, abandon all hope.

The professional fora are the place for serious questions.

This is the bear garden.

Do you like films about Gladiators?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Contractors Union

If it floats your boat:

Home Page | efip.org
    IWGB
    Home

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
    You've used this before....come on man, I need new insults!
    I though this was the standard CUK insult and as heinous an insult that could ever be bestowed upon a member of these forums without offending the casual passer by?

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Your mum... etc.
    I said new..not something from the 90's

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
    Your mum... etc.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You fawning bedwetting lickspittle...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I am glad that you were helped.

As someone with bags of career experience who has recently made a move into contracting, the answer to your question "Is that so wrong?" is Yes.

I believed this to be a community, a support group of peers. To me one behaves like Cojack (i.e. answer the question) or say nothing. My management style is that there is no such this as a stupid question. I see and have seen the advantage of this model. I would rather someone attempt to engage in a constructive dialogue than ridicule me.
    That's your management style. On an anonymous internet bulletin board there is so such a thing as a stupid question. Different medium, different rules.

If you are struggling on here, go ask an ill thought out and poorly researched question on Mumsnet for example. Then you'll know out right hate and ridicule. Try it on the immigration forums and you'll get insta-banned.

You've had it easy here, believe me.

You fawning bedwetting lickspittle...

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Being fairly new to contracting, it appears to me that we have to individually fight our battles. This forum is good for advise and tips, but that is all.

I think contractors need to have something like a union (note: like a union, but not a union). Something akin to the Guilds of old. A body through which we can present a united front to government agencies likes of HMRC on the subject of IR35 or force the recruitment industry to adopt some kind of self-regulation or even have a regular review of recruiters published, by contractors or engaging in Class Action Suits/Group Litigation Orders on behalf of members.

I know that such things as collective wage bargaining is not possible for contractors. But surely if such a group/scheme existed one could have access to better legal services and similar through economies of scale.

Perhaps something already exists, if so can someone let me know.
    There are some unions but they only allow naked fat lazy contractors to join

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied

As someone with bags of career experience who has recently made a move into contracting, the answer to your question "Is that so wrong?" is Yes.

I believed this to be a community, a support group of peers. To me one behaves like Cojack (i.e. answer the question) or say nothing. My management style is that there is no such this as a stupid question. I see and have seen the advantage of this model. I would rather someone attempt to engage in a constructive dialogue than ridicule me.
    Jesus, yet another tea leaf has arrived.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    General - All hope abandon ye who enter here. Seriously.

Says it right there on the tin

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

Post in the relevant section of the forum.

This is General - submit a serious question here and you will(more often than not) be subjected to ridicule.

So, have a look at the resources available within the forum and if you still have a query then submit your question in the relevant section.

As for your recent move into contracting, AYSYCOTBAC?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    It's more a reflection of irritation than any particular desire to be seen as somehow superior. Over the last 15 years or so on this site I have seen the same basic questions asked by newcomers to contracting from all sorts of previous career backgrounds, who may not know the answers but who don't appear to have even tried to find out. Hence the occasional flash of anger at yet another "dumb" question.

That said the OP in this case wasn't actually one of those, but simply asked Google the wrong question (had they looked for "groups supporting or representing contractors" or something similar IPSE would be first one up). On that basis NLUK's response was obviously a little harsh; it was the use of "union" that hid IPSE from view since they are not one.

Equally obviously I disagree with Goke - "having bags of experience" is fine but "recently moved into contracting" means you are a newbie in a world you only think you understand.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Yes I am. And what of it?

Is this a forum of professionals or a twitter group for high school mean girls?
    ooeer

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Yes I am. And what of it?

Is this a forum of professionals or a twitter group for high school mean girls?
    General is very much the latter

There's a reason the smiley was added…

Leave a comment:

Working...
X