• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Client thinks that I am not doing work"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I worked with another contractor that did something similar to this. But basically each task he was asked to do he would put together an email, confirming details of the task. Then would update on a regular basis via email, even though the handler was sitting behind him.

I thought it was over the top but I've come to appreciate his approach. Especially with clients that don't really know what you are doing or what work is involved or where there are barriers stopping you doing work.

Its all about being easy to manage and transparent. I also find it helps to keep me organised and motivated.I have to complete the form daily so I need to actually do something. I keep some independent tasks nearly complete as fallback if I have a bad day.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Fwiw i'm in the same situation, lots of stuff blocked, on the verge of quitting because it, client co know my frustrations, and are begging me to stay because I'm doing such a good job managing it/they are happy I'm doing it not them.
    This - if you're a contractor worth your coin, then you make it clear that it's them, not you, that's the problem.
    Highlight the blockers, escalate them if need be. Shine, don't hide; that's what permies and bobs do.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Rule 1 of Contracting: Always be working on something (make it up).
    Rule 2 of Contracting: Invoice.
    Shirley that should be:

Rule 1 of Contracting: Invoice.
    Rule 2 of Contracting: Always appear to be working on something

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Rule 1 of Contracting: Always be working on something (make it up).
    Rule 2 of Contracting: Invoice.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Do a daily digest to your handler.

Make sure all requests you make for meetings etc are covered by an email after the first one or a refusal politely highlighting the consequences.
    I worked with another contractor that did something similar to this. But basically each task he was asked to do he would put together an email, confirming details of the task. Then would update on a regular basis via email, even though the handler was sitting behind him.

I thought it was over the top but I've come to appreciate his approach. Especially with clients that don't really know what you are doing or what work is involved or where there are barriers stopping you doing work.

Leave a comment:

• fiisch
    replied
    Exactly the same boat here. Nearly three weeks in and yet to be given any meaningful work, despite repeated promises from the client and me trying to be proactive/asking for "more" work.

I was glad to still have the gig (it was 9 weeks between interview and start date, and in that time they were taken over), but I am bored senseless. I've only just returned to contracting, but the lack of work in this gig is driving me nuts. I am hoping things improve once the dust settles following said takeover.

Three other contractors who started at around the same time in similar roles are also in the same boat.... sheer madness.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    i hate those jobs so much. i had one this time last year for a well known accounting / auditing / integrating firm who asked me to do my niche thing for their end-client. i knew it would come with the typical early-start to late-finish hierarchical madness that is rife with these firms but i was on the bench...

the job was a nonsense from the start. there was almost nothing to do. i told the integrator that i had nothing to do and i told the end-client the same but end-client upper management wanted a resource to be available and the integrator were happy to have me on-site and invoicing. 4 months of trying to look busy on-site 4 days a week from 8 until 8. i was bloody happy to get back on the bench.
    So why'd you stay for 12 hours a day or were they paying for 12 hours ratehr than PWD?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Do a daily digest to your handler.

1. I talked to Mike today again (3rd time) about XYZ attempted again to book a meeting but he said he was busy until November 3rd. I include a copy of the emails. - this threatens task 2.11 delivery. - With Mike - significant timeline risk, please can you assist.
    2. I chased John for his work on task 2.05 it was due on 11 Sept (my matching part 2.06 was completed 3 Sept) I need to combine for task 2.06 which needs to be completed in the next 2 days. With John Possible timeline risk - please can you advise?
    3. Completed task 2.03 today and passed to Mary for UAT , expect it back in 4 days. If that target is met 2.03 will be completed on time. With Mary - on schedule.
    4. Currently working on 2.08 alone. - With Me - on schedule.
    5. Completed 2.11 Me + James - completed - on schedule.

Add a graphic of all tasks in a rag & responsibility chart.

I normally use excel with custom formatting and just add a copy of the urgent / achieved items in the mail so he can just scan it in seconds.

Send that 30 minutes before you go home or first thing next day (depending when your handler is free and you are willing to meet).

As items get solved use strike through , then drop off after 7 days and amend the rag chart with dark green for completed tasks. Make the summary in excel available centrally.

Make sure all requests you make for meetings etc are covered by an email after the first one or a refusal politely highlighting the consequences.

First thing is your handler will love you as you are easy to manage, you aren't being unreasonable in documenting the attempts. Second thing your handler is advised about any roadblocks you need them to deal with if they do nothing then they can't blame you.

If you are rational you will love high lighting in dark green or red where the colleague is being an arse. Soon people will either hate you or respect you either way you have proven it is not your fault.

Also you are prepared for the stand-up.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Fwiw i'm in the same situation, lots of stuff blocked, on the verge of quitting because it, client co know my frustrations, and are begging me to stay because I'm doing such a good job managing it/they are happy I'm doing it not them.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by dogquoteplus View Post
    ClientCo asked me what I have done in the last 2 days, and I reported that these things are blocked for a couple of days now so I can't move on. ClientCo then said to me with a bit of an attitude "so you haven't done much then, have you?".
    Originally posted by dogquoteplus View Post
    How would you handle this?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Your answer is "no I haven't done much" and then grin.

And then hand him an invoice covered in doodles.

And then grin again.

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• dogquoteplus
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    i hate those jobs so much. i had one this time last year for a well known accounting / auditing / integrating firm who asked me to do my niche thing for their end-client. i knew it would come with the typical early-start to late-finish hierarchical madness that is rife with these firms but i was on the bench...

the job was a nonsense from the start. there was almost nothing to do. i told the integrator that i had nothing to do and i told the end-client the same but end-client upper management wanted a resource to be available and the integrator were happy to have me on-site and invoicing. 4 months of trying to look busy on-site 4 days a week from 8 until 8. i was bloody happy to get back on the bench.
    Blimey, that sucks indeed! I don't know if I could last for that long trying to look busy. After a point I think I'm burning my time away.

Leave a comment:

• dogquoteplus
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Sometimes you get these non-gigs. It's part of what we do. Occasionally the right thing to do is say thanks but no thanks and go.

I did 6 weeks at a gig and they didn't give me a bean of work in all that time. I absolutely hated it. Slowly ramped up from offering to help, asking for work, advising I've got no work and ending up I feel it should be best to go as I've nothing to do.

I got the offer to do some other crappy bits of work which I declined.

I suggested one morning that the client is burning money and I'm frustrated. How about we leave it here and if the work kicks off and I'm available I come back. Left at lunch and that was that.

Sometimes it is the way it is.
    Nice one northernladuk, I suppose it is.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Sometimes you get these non-gigs. It's part of what we do. ...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Sometimes you get these non-gigs. It's part of what we do. Occasionally the right thing to do is say thanks but no thanks and go.

I did 6 weeks at a gig and they didn't give me a bean of work in all that time. I absolutely hated it. Slowly ramped up from offering to help, asking for work, advising I've got no work and ending up I feel it should be best to go as I've nothing to do.

I got the offer to do some other crappy bits of work which I declined.

I suggested one morning that the client is burning money and I'm frustrated. How about we leave it here and if the work kicks off and I'm available I come back. Left at lunch and that was that.

Sometimes it is the way it is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X