• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What spirits would go with passion fruit?"

Collapse

• CoolCat
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I've been doing some more research. Although the fruit on mine are edible you really need the Passiflora Edulis which has the same size flowers but coloured more white with a dark spot. They are the ones that produce the typical brown wrinkled fruit you see in the shops and are much more difficult to grow outdoors. The blue flowered ones are much more hardy but, the fruit isn't as nice. I will let you know.
    If you search for Big Clive dot com on youtube, you will find he has done some good videos on mixing spirits etc

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I've been doing some more research. Although the fruit on mine are edible you really need the Passiflora Edulis which has the same size flowers but coloured more white with a dark spot. They are the ones that produce the typical brown wrinkled fruit you see in the shops and are much more difficult to grow outdoors. The blue flowered ones are much more hardy but, the fruit isn't as nice. I will let you know.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied

This is what my passion fruit look like at the moment. Need more sun.

Leave a comment:

• Lambert Simnel
    replied
    The Old Bengal Bar near Liverpool Street used to serve a spectacularly good gin & passion fruit cocktail called the Gin Spot Sour. They'll still serve it if you ask for it by name, but it wasn't on their revised cocktail menu last time I was there.

Passion fruit coulis would work very well for providing the sweetness as well as the fruit/flavouring, but you'd have to make sure you have enough sour (in the example above, the lemon juice) to balance it.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    There is a self fertile edible variety, can't remember it's name but edible should get you there.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You know, I've seen these just the other week for sale and even spotted the name "passion flower" but never twigged that's where the fruit came from!

They really are stunning and I plan to get some but here in the North East it sounds we'd be lucky to ever see fruit.
    I'm on the South Coast, which helps.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    The flowers grow in the UK fairly easily (in fact they can be a bit of a weed at times), getting the fruit to form and ripen, you'll probably want to be in the south with a warm garden. The flowers are fairly spectacular, you may have seen them before and not realise what the plant was, maybe even thought it was some sort of clematis
    You know, I've seen these just the other week for sale and even spotted the name "passion flower" but never twigged that's where the fruit came from!

They really are stunning and I plan to get some but here in the North East it sounds we'd be lucky to ever see fruit.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yeah that's exactly what I thought.. Then I woke up, went outside and got a life :
    I tend to go outside, pick fruit and make alcoholic beverages, but I guess you need to go outside and get a life. I already have one.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    White rum might work, but could be a bit sweet. Otherwise vodka seems the natural choice.
    This, although a good quality dark rum sounds like a good match. Plenty of lime juice would cure the sweetness problem.
    Tequila might be a good shout, but again you'd need a good amount of lime juice.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    The flowers are fairly spectacular, you may have seen them before and not realise what the plant was, maybe even thought it was some sort of clematis
    Yeah that's exactly what I thought.. Then I woke up, went outside and got a life :

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Never knew passion fruit grew in the UK either - if you live in the uK that is?
    The flowers grow in the UK fairly easily (in fact they can be a bit of a weed at times), getting the fruit to form and ripen, you'll probably want to be in the south with a warm garden. The flowers are fairly spectacular, you may have seen them before and not realise what the plant was, maybe even thought it was some sort of clematis

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    A P*rnstar Martini is the most common passion fruit cocktail. They use vanilla flavoured vodka.

I grow passion fruit in my back garden. Normally we only get three or four fruit and lots of flowers but because of the weather this summer we have loads of the things. Need another couple of weeks' sun to get them to ripen.
    Aha, I never knew that's what a PS Martini was. I'll look up a recipe. Vodka goes with everything so it seemed a bit of a boring option but bringing in vanilla/raspberry could be good and champagne definitely sounds great.
    I reckon tequila might work (if you like tequila).

Never knew passion fruit grew in the UK either - if you live in the uK that is?

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Depends on how big your glass is and how many spirits you have handy.....All of them

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Definitely not gin.

First option would be vodka. Other choice would be champagne.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    A P*rnstar Martini is the most common passion fruit cocktail. They use vanilla flavoured vodka.

I grow passion fruit in my back garden. Normally we only get three or four fruit and lots of flowers but because of the weather this summer we have loads of the things. Need another couple of weeks' sun to get them to ripen.
    Last edited by Lockhouse; 22 August 2018, 07:30. Reason: Speling

Leave a comment:

Working...
X