• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Monday Links from the Bench vol. CDXLII"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Do you also think it's still 2018? That blissful before time...
    Now come on. Gladstone hasn't been prime minister for _that_ long!

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Which is why this got bumped.

DRC is doing its best too.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And I'm afraid that memories are short and traditions are long...

Guinea declares Ebola epidemic: First deaths since 2016 - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    We didn't appreciate how lucky we were.

"You have never had it so good" said the very young whipper snapper MacMillan.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    NickFitz calls it again.
    And the writer of that piece, Ed Yong, has written a lot of excellent articles about the pandemic over the past year

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    We didn't appreciate how lucky we were.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Hang on, it's wednesday today isn't it? Nurse! Nurse!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

That's what happens in nursing homes
    Hang on, today's wednesday isn't it? Nurse! Nurse!
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 19 February 2021, 20:45.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    DOH! Seeing that Monday Links title at the top of the list, I assumed it must be Monday and for some unaccounable reason I was a day out!
    That's what happens in nursing homes

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

NickFitz calls it again.
    DOH! Seeing that Monday Links title at the top of the list, I assumed it must be Monday and for some unaccounable reason I was a day out!

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The Next Plague Is Coming. Is America Ready? - "The epidemics of the early 21st century revealed a world unprepared, even as the risks continue to multiply. Much worse is coming." TLDR: if you thought Ebola was bad, wait till you see what else nature combined with rapid international travel has up its sleeve.
    NickFitz calls it again.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    People say poverty is a bad thing and work to eradicate it but, without such expendable folk, we wouldn't be as medically advanced as we are now. The poor serve the greater good.
    So why change a good thing? Cheaper and more useful than sterilisation.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    That's the way to do it. None of this expensive clinical trials and years of research rubbish.
    People say poverty is a bad thing and work to eradicate it but, without such expendable folk, we wouldn't be as medically advanced as we are now. The poor serve the greater good.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Good to see this again.

Not quite ebola, but inneresting none the less:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44484599
    In 1796 he immunised James with fluid from a cowpox lesion on the arm of a milking maid called Sarah Nelmes and then, after exposing the boy to smallpox, confirmed he was protected against it.
    That's the way to do it. None of this expensive clinical trials and years of research rubbish.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim Stoffel on McMoon
    tim Stoffel says:
    18th June 2018 at 12:16 am
    I paid several visits to McMoons during this amazing project, and was taken back by the sheer complexity of what they had to do. The FR900 is basically a insturmentation version of a quadruplex videotape recorder. It used the same heads, required a vacuum guide to hold the tape in the correct position, and required new bearing be made to some incredible precision. The signal recover process was once highly classified, and that apparently had a page of equations and a block diagram to work from. Brilliant signal system engineer Al Stern, formerly of Ampex, designed a digital approximation of the original analog signal system that apparently worked on the first try. Although my involvement with the project was very trivial, it was something I will always remember.
    Good to see this again.

Not quite ebola, but inneresting none the less:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44484599
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 June 2018, 13:58.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X