• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Monday Links from the Bench vol. CDXLI"

Collapse

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post

Still kicking around. I'm taking three months off contracting to renovate/Improve my house.

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    eek
    Stay away from power tools!
    what uncle albert said!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Still kicking around. I'm taking three months off contracting to renovate/Improve my house.
    Hi Diver! <- manly

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied

eek
    Stay away from power tools!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    raising the dead. wow, that was a helluva read. i had to stop everything and finish that. has anyone seen diver?

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    raising the dead. wow, that was a helluva read. i had to stop everything and finish that. has anyone seen diver?
    He is still doing great!

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'm not sure you can get down to 75 meters in muff so he should be OK.
    You know your mrs will be doing just that this weekend to prove you wrong.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    has anyone seen diver?
    I'm not sure you can get down to 75 meters in muff so he should be OK.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    75 meters is the deepest i ever did, and That was intense enough, thanks.
    those guys are nutters. - still don't deserve that though.
    Had a bit of a look around to see if there was any other deep dive stories and the guy in the article is pretty well documented on other pages, the Wikipedia page on deep diving for example. Grim reading though as most of them mentioned also died sometime later on dives. Even the Guinness book of world records have stopped logging the dives as records due to the high mortality rate. These guys work right on the very edge of what is possible. I am sure they make many successful dives so not quite as bad as the page makes but it inevitably seems to end up badly at some point.

In deference to the high death rate, the Guinness World Records ceased to publish records on deep air dives in mid-2005
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_diving

I might have missed it in the article but there is a book on the Shaw dive. I imagine it's longer and more detailed than the article so could be worth a read but I'm wondering if the potted story in the article might have spoiled the read now we know the outcome etc.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-into-darkness

And another story of diving and it's ultimate end I came across while browsing the deep dive pages that could be worth a read..

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24036.The_Last_Dive

Not sure if they will be a good a read as that article in the links though. That was really gritty and too the point.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24036.The_Last_Dive
    Last edited by northernladuk; 12 June 2018, 07:30.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Blimey!! That was an intense read. I was going to say 'great stuff' but maybe that's not the best term. Found myself out of breath at the end. Good find.
    75 meters is the deepest i ever did, and That was intense enough, thanks.
    those guys are nutters. - still don't deserve that though.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Loved the WWI photos in colour, but come on, they are fake.

The guy on the left is taking a selfie.

Your selfie taking person looks very like our own ATW. I think SKA has perfected time travel.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Loved the WWI photos in colour, but come on, they are fake.

The guy on the left is taking a selfie.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    The cat thing is odd.

The late & much lamented StrangeloveMog never bit nor scratched me in 18 years.

Though next door's cat hates me, so I just leave the nasty little fecker alone.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I was so hoping he would figure it out and turn up alive.
    Yeah same!!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Blimey!! That was an intense read. I was going to say 'great stuff' but maybe that's not the best term. Found myself out of breath at the end. Good find.
    I was so hoping he would figure it out and turn up alive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X