• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Got a counter offer"

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Hotdogs!!!

....or Not Hotdog!

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You mean like bleeding radiators?

Yeh! - those bleeding radiators'll be the death of me

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's about a little more than that but if it makes you happy go with it.
    You mean like bleeding radiators?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Or more likely -

(Seriously people who want serious replies to their posts and they aren't going through a personal crisis shouldn't post in General.)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Hannes7 View Post
    That is what IR35 is all about, when I remember correctly. Don't quit and just get "employed" as a Contractor.s
    It's about a little more than that but if it makes you happy go with it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    Ikea?
    Hotdogs!!!

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Is this like a McDonald's counter or KFC?
    Ikea?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Is this like a McDonald's counter or KFC?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    NotAllThere, SlipTheJab, TonyF ... thanks! I'm a fresh starter and I wasn't sure. That is what IR35 is all about, when I remember correctly. Don't quit and just get "employed" as a Contractor.

northernladuk, there are not stupid questions, just ...

Thanks guys!
    Hannes
    They are not stupid questions. They are badly considered and very naïve ones though. How much effort have you put into finding out what "being a contractor" entails in the current market?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    NotAllThere, SlipTheJab, TonyF ... thanks! I'm a fresh starter and I wasn't sure. That is what IR35 is all about, when I remember correctly. Don't quit and just get "employed" as a Contractor.

Thanks guys!
    Hannes
    have a peek on the main site they explain it quite well. So do IPSE & QDOS.

But basically you give up all your employee rights for a few quid more an hour and pay a little less tax when you become a contractor. Then HMRC decided you should pay the same tax without the employee rights and IR35 was born. They pretend you are an employee for tax purposes and try and convince a tax tribunal.

You can escape that by not being a de facto employee (multiple concurrent clients, no MOO etc) but it would be extremely difficult on a "Friday to Monday" scenario which is what HMRC started on.

If they want to keep you then your employer needs to pay you enough that you are able to take the tax & expense implications being caught brings and you are paid enough to replace the employee benefits. start at about twice your hourly wage normally.

should be enough to google on.

Leave a comment:

• Hannes7
    replied

Thanks guys!
    Hannes

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I hate it to register in a forum and create a thread straight away. Sorry, I can't think of any exact keywords to search for
    So do we. Think harder.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 March 2018, 16:39.

Leave a comment:

• TonyF
    replied
    In this situation, I would have a contract which falls under IR35?
    On the asumption that you are doing the same work as current, then yes.

If you aren't doing the same work and you can show that the new role is sufficiently different to be one of self-employment (hint: you probably can't...), then you would be outside IR35.

Why don't you consider taking the money as an employee rather than getting all the taxes and none of the employee benefits?

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Hi guys,

I hate it to register in a forum and create a thread straight away. Sorry, I can't think of any exact keywords to search for.
    Maybe one of you guys may can provide me with a 10 second answer.

I want to start as a contractor and I've told my manager today.
    He needs me and made me a counter offer ...

In case, I would create my Limited company and my first client would be my current employer.
    In this situation, I would have a contract which falls under IR35?

Thanks,
    Hannes

What do you think...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...In this situation, I would have a contract which falls under IR35?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X