• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "TOIL On-call - 1 day"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Ha ha - come on NLUK you can think of a better insult than that mun. Thats lamB ass for you!
    FTFY!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Having the option of 1 day TOIL or 1 day's rate seems preferable, with you able to choose flexibly as you find best once you've been doing it a while.

Leave a comment:

• Major Hassle
    replied
    So what would you all do it for?

No payment on offer just TOIL for being on call. Yes I know TOIL but Im inside IR35 PS anyway so no issues.
    Client initially talked about 1/2 day per week which I thought was crap but is now offering 1 day for a 7 day oncall week. Not so bad but not brilliant. Not many calls though to be honest.

Of course, you've got to count the goodwill garnered by agreeing to do this or the negative vibes that would come from saying no.

Anyone else similar?
    You should ask for the day TOIL for being on call (your on call allowance) and 1hr per call received plus time spent on any call > 1hr

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Oh.. moved to General?

WGAS sheep shagger.

/thread
    Ha ha - come on NLUK you can think of a better insult than that mun. Thats lame ass for you!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Oh.. moved to General?

WGAS sheep shagger.

/thread

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Can you remind us, or me anyway, what is TOIL?

It sounds like working by the sweat of your brow, and I picture you labouring all day in a chain gang in the baking sun without even being paid!
    T'oil? It's what tha puts int' t'engine tha cloth eared wazzock.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Those Jobcentre signing-on booths are not going to fix themselves!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

No payment on offer just TOIL for being on call. Yes I know TOIL but Im inside IR35 PS anyway so no issues. ..
    Can you remind us, or me anyway, what is TOIL?

It sounds like working by the sweat of your brow, and I picture you labouring all day in a chain gang in the baking sun without even being paid!

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Ha ha you mercenary bugger Spartie! No I'm not THAT bothered about goodwill and won't do anything for free. But there is some benefit to not being an awkward PITA if you fancy a few extensions. Wouldn't put myself out too much of course.

But seems like a good deal to me initially. It is, after all, in effect an extra 1.5 days per month billed (1 week in 3). Of course, for someone who never takes holidays and works 50 weeks a year its not so good.
    Hahaha you know me, Christ I bet I know the majority of the people you're working with there "Dead man's boots" comes to mind with that place.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Just say no, you're not a permie who cares about goodwill it's either in the contract or it isn't.
    Ha ha you mercenary bugger Spartie! No I'm not THAT bothered about goodwill and won't do anything for free. But there is some benefit to not being an awkward PITA if you fancy a few extensions. Wouldn't put myself out too much of course.

But seems like a good deal to me initially. It is, after all, in effect an extra 1.5 days per month billed (1 week in 3). Of course, for someone who never takes holidays and works 50 weeks a year its not so good.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Aye thats it - they're offering 1x day TOIL per week on call. Plus as you say multiples for more more.
    That doesn't sound too bad to me, personally - especially if calls are few.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    In terms of cash, most places seem to have some arrangement where you get [x] for merely existing on-call and then [y] for when you're actually taking a call.

Why not offer something similar. You get 1/2 day for each week of being on call (I've not actually thought about the numbers here - you work out if it's worth while) and then straight TOIL or x1.5/x2 (Depending on what you think you can get away with) for each call you take, based on a 15 or 30 minute resolution.

I've just realised that I've never been on-call in my entire career with the exception of a permie job that classified not having to go in over the Christmas break as "on call"
    Aye thats it - they're offering 1x day TOIL per week on call. Plus as you say multiples for more more.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied

No payment on offer just TOIL for being on call. Yes I know TOIL but Im inside IR35 PS anyway so no issues.

Client initially talked about 1/2 day per week which I thought was crap but is now offering 1 day for a 7 day oncall week. Not so bad but not brilliant. Not many calls though to be honest.

Of course, you've got to count the goodwill garnered by agreeing to do this or the negative vibes that would come from saying no.

Anyone else similar?
    Just say no, you're not a permie who cares about goodwill it's either in the contract or it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    In terms of cash, most places seem to have some arrangement where you get [x] for merely existing on-call and then [y] for when you're actually taking a call.

Why not offer something similar. You get 1/2 day for each week of being on call (I've not actually thought about the numbers here - you work out if it's worth while) and then straight TOIL or x1.5/x2 (Depending on what you think you can get away with) for each call you take, based on a 15 or 30 minute resolution.

I've just realised that I've never been on-call in my entire career with the exception of a permie job that classified not having to go in over the Christmas break as "on call"

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You mean a failed contractor on an inside gig not being able to make a decision for themselves? Nope I am sure there isn't....

But IMO there isn't enough information here. You mention not many calls. What does that mean? Impact when there is a call, how valuable is the time off to you, what is your personal attitude to your work etc etc. Hard to answer in any way that's useful to you TBH
    What do you need to do and how often? If you're doing less than a days worth of work then do it. If it's going to interrupt family time then don't.

For me I'd do it to have a longer holiday

Leave a comment:

Working...
X