• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hiring employees for my IT Ltd"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Simplest way would be to marry him.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by Skag View Post
    No.

To put it simply: given that I want to slowly start my own consultancy and that I have a friend who is looking for a job, I said, hey, why don't I sort you out with a job, and you can start working for me, therefore making a start of my business somewhere. I'll leave aside all the drama about "despair", "helpless" etc.

I think I got my answer by now. Sponsoring someone from abroad should only happen when talent is not present in the UK. Let me know if it's otherwise.
    If your dominant motive is to grow your business, you are in the right forum - start by finding more work FIRST, then you can easily find people to do it for you. No sensible businessman will start growing their business by incurring a shed load of expenses to become a successful visa sponsor to someone without even having work for them. Steak already gave you a good idea on the numbers and effort required.

On the other hand if it's about helping a mate get a bogus visa to remain in the UK, you will have better luck finding advice in the immigration forums.

Leave a comment:

• JIDEARE
    replied
    Not a Good Idea.

I feel this will be transparent. Way too transparent for whoever has more than 15mins spare to look into it. Chances are his visa conditions will give him 30/60/90 days to leave the country after losing his current job/time runs out. And you wanting to set up an agency to employ him in order to save him having to leave will end up costing you a HUGE fine.

I mean I even recently looked into employing an old colleague for a year to fill a 12 month contract as I thought I could pay him less than the offered rate and pocket the difference as company profit.... It's NOT always that simple. And visa issues didn't even apply in my case. Plus if that contract get terminated, depending on your original agreement, you might have to continue paying him

As harsh as it might sound, best thing to do might be to let him go back to India, expend his cooling off period and then apply for something at which point you might be a handy referee for him.
    Last edited by JIDEARE; 22 January 2018, 13:20.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SeanT View Post
    shortage in the gene pool for you two then
    I like to cast my genes far and wide.

Leave a comment:

• SeanT
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    shortage in the gene pool for you two then
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Is that why WTFH offered you a job building his shed?
    no shortage in the labour pool for you two then

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Far better to employ your enemies.
    Is that why WTFH offered you a job building his shed?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    ...BTW, starting a consultancy by employing your friends is not a good idea anyway.
    Far better to employ your enemies.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Friends and business rarely mix. You've not mentioned anything about actually getting any business. When you run out of money and can't pay him and he runs in to visa problems who is he going to blame?

Leave a comment:

• Skag
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Yes, that is perfectly correct. The rules are tough for a very good reason.

BTW, starting a consultancy by employing your friends is not a good idea anyway.
    That makes sense, I just never happened to look into it in the past.

Why do you not think it's not a good idea? Because we might end up fighting and breaking up both friendship and collaboration?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    The bottom point +100

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Skag View Post
    No.

To put it simply: given that I want to slowly start my own consultancy and that I have a friend who is looking for a job, I said, hey, why don't I sort you out with a job, and you can start working for me, therefore making a start of my business somewhere. I'll leave aside all the drama about "despair", "helpless" etc.

I think I got my answer by now. Sponsoring someone from abroad should only happen when talent is not present in the UK. Let me know if it's otherwise.
    Yes, that is perfectly correct. The rules are tough for a very good reason.

BTW, starting a consultancy by employing your friends is not a good idea anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Skag
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    The rule of thumb here is , applying for a visa to an Indian dude to come over is the last resort after exhausting every other option.

Skag, you done that ?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    The rule of thumb here is , applying for a visa to an Indian dude to come over is the last resort after exhausting every other option.

Skag, you done that ?

Your modus operandi seems to be that you chanced upon a dude who is desperate to find another gig, presumably because he is losing his current job, has told you he will work for peanuts just to extend his stay here so he can get his permanent residency. You are seeing $dollar$ signs in your eyes and are thinking this is a great way to make some money off the back of a hapless immigrant.

So tell me this, what is the tech stack you are looking to fill and why do you think nobody in UK is willing to do that role if the role paid adequately ?

Leave a comment:

• Skag
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Not just an expiry period, but whether it’s tied to a particular employer (sounds like it is) and what he should do once those particulars change. For example, if the visa says that he should leave the U.K. if the employment that is linked to the visa ceases.

To be fair these are probably questions for your friend.

Have you thought about the wording of your role description yet, and which publications and/or agencies you will be posting that on?
    Oh right, it seems that there's a lot more than meets the eye then...
    TBH, I only thought to run this past the forum to check what are the underlying matters (such as those you mention, and thanks for that).
    I don't think he's aware of these, or maybe he is, I haven't ask, and wasn't aware anyway. Maybe that's a good starting point.
    As per role description, no I haven't thought, as I was assessing the viability of "whether I can just hire someone who is already here under another visa, and what it would take to hire him". So I'm at the very starting point.

However, a lot of good info to research on, on this thread.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X