• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HMRC: No more credit card payments"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Why should you?
    So you're saying it's a matter of fairness? Delaying payment where possible is part and parcel of running a company, due to marginal gains. How people choose to pay their tax bills is none of your business really, within the law.

I saw some discussion the other day whether you were no longer allowed to charge CC fees, or were allowed to but only the exact amount of the fee. I thought it was the former but saw people claiming the latter.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Have a word with BP, he'll sort you out.
    if you are misspelling ars?hole then you need AssGuru.

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    You get clubcard points if you pay on a Tesco debit card

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Oh well. Need to find another loophole
    Have a word with BP, he'll sort you out.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I should have been a quicker off the mark this month as I have my VAT to pay. I’ve used a credit card all year as the lower rates they charged vs the rewards I got using my Hilton card meant it was better to use that and then pay it back.

Oh well. Need to find another loophole

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Do they take payments from Paypal? One understands an AMEX card can be linked to Paypal to get around retailers Non-AMEX rules - maybe it works for Her Indoors Robbing Scunthorpes too?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    This country is so fu*£ed up, the Tories are doing everything possible to crush small businesses and let the multinationals have their monopolies.
    You want to see fecked up, Corbyn will take it to 11.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

I guess I’m in the minority but why do people who pay tax by self assessment expect special treatment? Why should everyone else pay for their financial mismanagement?
    That is easy to say if you a disguised employee contractor with little or no financial commitments.
    If you are running a business with employees and business rates, cash flow is a problem. Furthermore, often tax bills are assessed and deemed by HMRC when they are wildly wrong. One poor chap I know rand his business at a loss for five years but HMRC still deemed that he made a profit, he is now disabled and cannot work. He is paying of his tax bill monthly by credit card. This country is so fu*£ed up, the Tories are doing everything possible to crush small businesses and let the multinationals have their monopolies.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Benny View Post
    Are DVLA doing the same?
    No.

https://twitter.com/DVLAgovuk/status/951808241826222080

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Credit?

My good man, if one isn't peeling notes from the roll about one's person, one is doing something wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Are DVLA doing the same?

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    Why not invest the tax as you earn it in a flexible ISA, that must surely give a better return?

This was announced back in October by the way.
    A bit presumptive. ISAs maxed out - what's wrong with a nice £50 kick back from HMRC getting its pound of flesh.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I'm not very happy about it either. Using special hotel and airline cards it was a nice little bonus with such a low charge.

The theory of why people can't is all well and good but the reality is they don't. If it gets someone paying that couldn't otherwise it's a good thing. It might not be any use for you but that doesn't mean it's not fair or they shouldn't have it.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Maybe it's adept financial management; I was looking forward to the 1% cashback by CC payment thanks to these new laws. HMRCs backwardness doesn't surprise me.
    Why not invest the tax as you earn it in a flexible ISA, that must surely give a better return?

This was announced back in October by the way.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    some of us are PAYE and pay tax on our investments why shouldn't we enjoy the payment holiday?
    Why should you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X