• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has anybody claimed laptop as business expense"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Using your personal laptop puts you clearly inside IR35 as you well know*. It's also a flag that this thread is being closed.

*No it doesn't, but the OP has a bit of history.

** Moved to General as I would prefer that genuine posters don't take this thread as a good one.

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    your preference on a client supplied laptop has got sweet FA to do with your business needs.

I've already given you the answer you want (yes go and buy a business laptop if you need it for business) but you still fail to grasp what business use is (it's not a personal laptop cos you don't like the client's).

Think about your business. What does it need? Forget what you like/want/desire/fornicate over.
    hmm.. have not decided whether it will be 100 percent business or mainly business with some personal use. I can always keep using my current laptop for personal use.
    anyway thanks for your input. Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by fatboyslim View Post
    Yes, I would prefer not to use client's laptop. My current personal laptop is a bad alternative.
    your preference on a client supplied laptop has got sweet FA to do with your business needs.

I've already given you the answer you want (yes go and buy a business laptop if you need it for business) but you still fail to grasp what business use is (it's not a personal laptop cos you don't like the client's).

Think about your business. What does it need? Forget what you like/want/desire/fornicate over.

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    buying a laptop because your "personal laptop" is old and heavy hardly makes it necessary for business does it?

You're thinking about this all wrong anyway.... Do you need a computer to run your business? (HINT: how do you generate invoices?)
    If the answer is yes, and the business doesn't own one then the business can justify buying one. If it happens to be more lightweight, sexy and powerful than necessary, that's an argument between you and your shareholders.
    Yes, I would prefer not to use client's laptop. My current personal laptop is a bad alternative.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    well, my current personal laptop is rather old and heavy, I don't want to carry it to client site, which is why I want a new lighter one. If most client don't allow then it loses its main utility.
    I don't expect them to support my device anyway.
    buying a laptop because your "personal laptop" is old and heavy hardly makes it necessary for business does it?

You're thinking about this all wrong anyway.... Do you need a computer to run your business? (HINT: how do you generate invoices?)
    If the answer is yes, and the business doesn't own one then the business can justify buying one. If it happens to be more lightweight, sexy and powerful than necessary, that's an argument between you and your shareholders.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    well, my current personal laptop is rather old and heavy, I don't want to carry it to client site, which is why I want a new lighter one. If most client don't allow then it loses its main utility.
    Who is your accountant?

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Bring your own device (BYOD) is pretty rare I expect, for security reasons as you say, and also the absolute pain in the ass that supporting a multitude of random devices must bring. So while client may save on not having to stump up for the devices to provide their employees, they then have to stump up the additional support costs.

May be something worth asking at interview stage though, in case you find a client that is 'cutting edge', though that is often also 'bleeding edge' as in "this bleeding thing won't work".

As for laptop purchase. I've done it in the past, bought personally and charged as expense to my Ltd, then marked down as asset over a few years so I am then free to 'dispose' of it as I wish. As others mention, this is nothing new and rules may have changed since I last went down that path, so research via info on this site and other's recent experiences, and ultimately advice from your accountant.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Should have mentioned in original question, who here uses his/her own laptop on client site? My last client was pretty insistent on using their laptop due to 'security' issue.
    Bring your own device (BYOD) is pretty rare I expect, for security reasons as you say, and also the absolute pain in the ass that supporting a multitude of random devices must bring. So while client may save on not having to stump up for the devices to provide their employees, they then have to stump up the additional support costs.

May be something worth asking at interview stage though, in case you find a client that is 'cutting edge', though that is often also 'bleeding edge' as in "this bleeding thing won't work".

As for laptop purchase. I've done it in the past, bought personally and charged as expense to my Ltd, then marked down as asset over a few years so I am then free to 'dispose' of it as I wish. As others mention, this is nothing new and rules may have changed since I last went down that path, so research via info on this site and other's recent experiences, and ultimately advice from your accountant.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I asked when rates were changed, and he wanted me to stick to it due to simplicity and little gain by going out of flat rate, in my case.
    his simplicity or yours?

HINT: There's more than one question there......

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    Should have mentioned in original question, who here uses his/her own laptop on client site? My last client was pretty insistent on using their laptop due to 'security' issue.

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    ~You might like to challenge your accountant on the wisdom of staying on FRS given the limited gains these days and the minor detail that you can't reclaim VAT on necessary business expenditure.
    I asked when rates were changed, and he wanted me to stick to it due to simplicity and little gain by going out of flat rate, in my case.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Am on flat VAT and the laptop wont cost 2k. Not planning to buy anything else, so VAT back wont apply. Asked my accountant long time ago, he said it does not matter which card you use, but I guess I will use business account to keep it simple.
    Thanks for your reply.
    ~You might like to challenge your accountant on the wisdom of staying on FRS given the limited gains these days and the minor detail that you can't reclaim VAT on necessary business expenditure.

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy O View Post
    Yes definitely speak to your accountant first. I used my business debt card attached to my business current account to buy my company iMac. Just make sure you get a vat receipt. It will probably be marked as a capital purchase and appear as an asset on your year end accounts. If you are registered on the vat flat rate scheme you can only claim the vat back if the total invoice is more than £2000. If you are registered on the normal standard vat then you can claim the vat back whatever the cost.
    Am on flat VAT and the laptop wont cost 2k. Not planning to buy anything else, so VAT back wont apply. Asked my accountant long time ago, he said it does not matter which card you use, but I guess I will use business account to keep it simple.
    Thanks for your reply.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    This from someone who feels competent to lecture us on IR35 and tax avoidance.

I suspect (s)he hails from Trollhatten.
    Does seem rather likely, doesn't it.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    This from someone who feels competent to lecture us on IR35 and tax avoidance.

I suspect (s)he hails from Trollhatten.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X