• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Paradise Papers: Queen should apologise, suggests Corbyn"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    I couldn't give a monkey's to be honest. The loopholes exist because successive governments all over the world allowed them to exist.

The people who make the most of them can afford to pay for the advice needed to exploit those loopholes properly. Good luck to them.

I don't have their income/earning power so I will never be one of them. I'm pretty sure, if I had the cash, my money would be invested offshore and I'd pay the taxes due when I repatriated it to top up my gin stash.

Yes, the tax revenue from those funds could pay for essential public services. I'd be asking why HMG allowed overseas British territories to have these arrangements that are to the detriment of the UK purse?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I was crying with Laughter this morning as Margaret <Guess where my families money lives> Hodge started moaning about people putting money in Tax Havens. Next I expect Jezza to invite Bono to opine about rich tax dodgers.

oh talking the talk but crawling the floor

Labour accused of hypocrisy after blocking measures to crackdown on £8.6billion tax avoidance

Labour has been accused of hypocrisy after it blocked a planned crackdown on tax avoidance which would have raised £8.6billion for the Treasury.

Jeremy Corbyn's party forced three key measures to be dropped from the Government's finance bill earlier this week, including new rules to stop companies from shifting losses overseas to avoid corporation tax.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    One commentator suggested she should resign.

After that he went off to talk to his plants.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    but apparently not from tax payer benefits.

Republic now!
    Boycott Apple more like!!!

An apple a day keeps the taxman away.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    The Queen is exempt from Tax. Fu ck off Corbyn
    but apparently not from tax payer benefits.

Republic now!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    The Queen is exempt from Tax. Fu ck off Corbyn

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Looks like the elite are still in charge.. thought the referendum was going to fix that?

Republic now!

Why do the working classes enjoy being shafted so much.. is it a variation of Stockholm syndrome or something?

Source: Paradise Papers: Queen should apologise, suggests Corbyn - BBC News
    Nicely selective quote there from a misleadingly headlined story. He didn't single out the Queen specifically and what actually reported was :

"He said anyone putting money into tax havens for the purposes of avoidance should "not just apologise for it, recognise what it does to our society".

Now given that she voluntarily pays tax on everything she earns, including through the Duchy of Lancaster, despite being exempt from taxes means she hasn't actually avoided anything so isn't really covered by Corbyn's statement.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Turns out there are BBC stars in tax dodging shocker.

I more surprised it is that successful as I find Mr's Browns Boys as funny as a root canal op.

qh

Damm BBC and their left wing agenda

That's it I'm cancelling my internet license.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    This Roy Lyness chap seems to need a attached to him...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

I more surprised it is that successful as I find Mr's Browns Boys as funny as a root canal op.

qh
    Houlihan told the Irish Times he had joined the Scheme after receiving professional advice without fully understanding it
    That old chestnut...

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied

qh

Leave a comment:

• Paradise Papers: Queen should apologise, suggests Corbyn

Looks like the elite are still in charge.. thought the referendum was going to fix that?

Republic now!

Why do the working classes enjoy being shafted so much.. is it a variation of Stockholm syndrome or something?

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has suggested the Queen, among others, should apologise for using overseas tax havens.

At the CBI conference he was asked whether the Queen should say sorry for making overseas investments.

He said: "Anyone that is putting money in to tax havens... should do two things, not just apologise for it, recognise what it does to our society."

The BBC has revealed that the Queen's estate has used overseas tax havens.

It comes after a leak from the tax haven of Bermuda revealed the secret overseas investments of the rich and famous, including the Queen.

Buckingham Palace has not commented on the revelation that the Duchy of Lancaster, which handles the Queen's private wealth, used offshore investments.

A spokesperson for the Duchy of Lancaster said: "We operate a number of investments and a few of these are with overseas funds. All of our investments are fully audited and legitimate.

"The Queen voluntarily pays tax on any income she receives from the Duchy."
    Source: Paradise Papers: Queen should apologise, suggests Corbyn - BBC News

Working...
X