• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car Keyless entry hack - how serious is the issue..? What precaution you are taking?"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    My divorce lawyers are in Surrey.
    Yes, I saw them as they drove through in their Phantom Dropheads. At least I assume it was them - the regs were:
    BP 0 1 MRS
    BP 0 2 MRS
    BP 0 3 MRS

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It’s above your divorce lawyers, you muppet.
    My divorce lawyers are in Surrey. Every time I cycle there I drop a gel wrapper outside your house.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Sorry. Its above the chinese massage shop. I apologize.
    It’s above your divorce lawyers, you muppet.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    For Mercedes owners with keyless go the easy way to solve this problem is pop the little start button out of the starter lock inside the car.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Me neither - I don't live above the kebab shop...
    Sorry. Its above the chinese massage shop. I apologize.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I am not worried about anyone breaking into your bedsit above the kebab shop.
    Me neither - I don't live above the kebab shop...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I'd worry more about thugs breaking into your house to find keys for the car - better for everybody if they nick it using keyless hack...
    I am not worried about anyone breaking into your bedsit above the kebab shop.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I'd worry more about thugs breaking into your house to find keys for the car - better for everybody if they nick it using keyless hack...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    If you are concerned about it then you disable it in the car, no change to the keys, nothing to worry about.
    Also if you don’t live/work in a high crime area, then you’re OK. It’s not uncommon for my car to be unlocked outside the house/office. The biggest crime round here is littering by cyclists - either their gel bags or their body parts scattered all over the place.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    Recently lot of news on this, some scary stories as usual in DM!! (Luckily they haven't put all blames on Eastern European gangs yet!!)

Video reveals how a keyless car can be hacked in SECONDS | Daily Mail Online

After seeing some scary videos did some research and found a big industry is made around solution for this by marketing "Faraday Pouches" - Those who work in Mobile industry will not be surprised with this name!

So the question is how serious it is threat..? What pr-caution you are taking in Home, Office & in sopping centres..?
    It's been around since 2016, the DM finally got round to reporting on it 18 months ago and nothing as really been heard about it since, so I'd say it's not really a major issue.

It's not actually that easy to do. You need to be close to the car owner when they lock or open the car in order to capture the exchange with the key fob, have the required kit to do it, which while it may be cheap needs the understanding to be able to build it and make it work, and then play it back to the car.

It's unlikely to happen at home on your driveway or in a corporate car park and would involve a degree of suspicious lurking about in public area.

Far easier from the thieves point of view to locate the vehicle at home, break in and steal the actual keys, hijack it while the driver is there with them or if it's worth the effort hire a tow truck and just take it away.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I will ask my butler if it is an issue.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Is that dodgy agent?
    No, he prefers Jaguars, allegedly...

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    In order to take this new technology into account, Ladybird will soon be publishing a revised and updated edition of their bestseller....

Is that dodgy agent?

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    After all the years of making cars more difficult to steal, the car industry shoots itself in the foot by negating those steps at a stroke.
    In order to take this new technology into account, Ladybird will soon be publishing a revised and updated edition of their bestseller....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    i try to avoid those, but if i have to be there, i wear a wetsuit
    Nice to see some of you attend NLyUK's soirees.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X