• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Viewing a house you can't afford = well would you?"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    But why don't I like Victorian houses then?

I grew up in them and dislike them. And so do two of my siblings.
    Hard to say. But did your father have a bushy Lord Kitchener moustache and a collection of birch and bamboo canes in a hollowed out elephant's foot?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
    So I should be aiming for a crappy council terrace house in a rain-swept new town in central Scotland? Ah, no thanks.
    FTFY

You didn't need all those extra words

Leave a comment:

• Lambert Simnel
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Interesting post, but most people's instinct on dwellings is simply based on where they lived or spent time in their first years.
    So I should be aiming for a crappy council terrace house in a rain-swept new town in central Scotland? Ah, no thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Interesting post, but most people's instinct on dwellings is simply based on where they lived or spent time in their first years.

For example, the first Saxon invaders must have found for the taking beautiful huge Roman villas built with the best Vitruvian principles. But their instincts were that these were repellent places, cold stone cavernous mausoleums reminiscent of death. They far preferred shacks or modest halls built of wood and mud, in which they could light an open fire in the middle, simply because those were the kind of dwellings in which they had been raised (that and the fact they knew how to build and maintain them).
    How they viewed the buildings is impossible to quantify, however there wasn't that many of them compared with the rest of the empire, Britain only attained 7% urbanisation (In Italy it was 40%, Gaul 12%). They also didn't have the craftsmen or technology to repair or replicate them. Also they had fallen into disrepair by the time of the Saxon invasions with the notables leaving Britain soon after the Legions circa 410 AD.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

For example, the first Saxon invaders must have found for the taking beautiful huge Roman villas built with the best Vitruvian principles. But their instincts were that these were repellent places, cold stone cavernous mausoleums reminiscent of death. They far preferred shacks or modest halls built of wood and mud, in which they could light an open fire in the middle, simply because those were the kind of dwellings in which they had been raised (that and the fact they knew how to build and maintain them).
    But why don't I like Victorian houses then?

I grew up in them and dislike them. And so do two of my siblings.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Because most people's instinct is based on Vitruvian principles, which also apply to valuing the physical appearance of the person. ...

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    Maybe that's the issue with these buildings (and in this instance the colour) and why people react the way they do, yet put up a picture of an ancient old pile and everybody goes all gooey.
    Because most people's instinct is based on Vitruvian principles, which also apply to valuing the physical appearance of the person. Modernist architecture seems on the other hand to have a chaotic element to it, which a lot of people find slightly disturbing.

Vitruvius's theories of beauty

Vitruvius believed that an architect should focus on three central themes when preparing a design for a building: firmitas (strength), utilitas (functionality), and venustas (beauty).

But the theory of venustas (or beauty) is a very complicated one. Vitruvius thought that a timeless notion of beauty could be learnt from the 'truth of nature', that nature's designs were based on universal laws of proportion and symmetry. He believed that the body's proportions could be used as a model of natural proportional perfection. He wrote of the way ancient scholars examined many examples of 'well shaped men' and discovered that these bodies shared certain proportions. He showed that the 'ideal' human body fitted precisely into both a circle and a square, and he thus illustrated the link that he believed existed between perfect geometric forms and the perfect body. In this way, the body was seen as a living rulebook, containing the fixed and faultless laws set down by nature.

So it followed, according to Vitruvius, that an architect's designs must refer to the unquestionable perfection of the body's symmetry and proportions. If a building is to create a sense of eurythmia - a graceful and agreeable atmosphere - it is essential that it mirrors these natural laws of harmony and beauty.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Mortgages for these jumped up portakabins might be an issue too - i'm pretty sure they'd fall into the 'non standard construction' category and attract a whole raft of expensive surveyors fees before anyone would lend against them. But since you're only going for a look it hardly matters

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Looks like a 70's junior school.

Not for me.

This on the other hand.

I could get quite excited about.
    A bit too much glass for me in that. But I wonder if the Klein house had been clad differently (colour was important to him if you look at his textiles), say with more glass on show or covered in the other favourite larch, then the reaction would be a little different?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    No votes for the studio above the Solihull Kebab house?

Or that house with the lawn destroyed by badgers?

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    oh dear, reminds me of my Primary School, those buildings were called Terrapins back in the day

oh dear

Milan.
    Maybe that's the issue with these buildings (and in this instance the colour) and why people react the way they do, yet put up a picture of an ancient old pile and everybody goes all gooey.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    They've got a 'viewing day' - you won't be the only nosy person.

It's useful for them to have people there - creates the impression of other interest to make the serious buyers think they've got competition.

Go for it!
    Good point, and yeah we are. it's too good an opportunity to miss.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Nope this Bernat Klein designed by Peter Womersly
    oh dear, reminds me of my Primary School, those buildings were called Terrapins back in the day

oh dear

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    They've got a 'viewing day' - you won't be the only nosy person.

It's useful for them to have people there - creates the impression of other interest to make the serious buyers think they've got competition.

Go for it!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Nope this Bernat Klein designed by Peter Womersly
    Looks like a 70's junior school.

Not for me.

This on the other hand.

I could get quite excited about.

From the Archive: Walled Garden, East Sussex

December 13th, 2016
    FROM THE ARCHIVE
    This remarkable house was inspired by the simplicity of Mies van der Rohe‘s Barcelona Pavilion, itself a forerunner of a whole generation of lightweight steel and glass houses.
    The raised position offers up wonderful views of the Sussex countryside, while the red brick garden walls provide a rich contrast to the lawns, pools and vegetation. It was designed by the engineer Alan Murray, working with the celebrated architect Michael Manser.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X