• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interesting jobs you've had"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    I used to do component level repair in workshop in my twenties.

We had some really fun times mucking about. Setting traps for each other, lots of workshop memes.

Would probably be boring now.

I used to mostly enjoy being a waiter in a Happy Eater people are so weird!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I was an Electrical Engineer for a few years, that was good. During my training I spent several months in the Electrical design office, which was good fun, I was asked to do a review of the small generator designs to see if I could figure ways to make them cheaper. Gr8 fun and I didn't figure out anything useful.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Castration of piglets!

Leave a comment:

• Dante
    replied
    After I left school in the 90's i spent a bit of time at Shepperton studios working with my mates dad who was a movie armorer. Made spears and daggers for The Mummy, and guns for Judge Dredd.

Edit: Since they've both had remakes - shows how old i am.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    I think you'll find it's a pretty hard job to get into, a bit like NASA/Fighter Pilots/London Black Cab drivers i.e. only the best.

I wouldn't think it'd be low stress knowing thousands of lives per day depend on you not screwing up or falling asleep, both I've been guilty of on more than one occasion.
    And it becomes pretty high stress if you're the driver and someone throws him / herself under your train.

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Chap I used to work with jacked it all in the become a train driver - good money and low stress.

This will be my pre-retirement job in a few years time when I've had enough.
    I think you'll find it's a pretty hard job to get into, a bit like NASA/Fighter Pilots/London Black Cab drivers i.e. only the best.

I wouldn't think it'd be low stress knowing thousands of lives per day depend on you not screwing up or falling asleep, both I've been guilty of on more than one occasion.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Classic dinosaur that was never going to make it.
    Don't be too hard on yourself.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Chap I used to work with jacked it all in the become a train driver - good money and low stress.

This will be my pre-retirement job in a few years time when I've had enough.

Leave a comment:

• tiggat
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't get it
    No chairs.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    There can't be many massive lathes (or other big fixed industrial machines) left in this country? I've browsed the "Industrial" section on sites like 28dayslater.co.uk and it can make depressing viewing at times.

The Ribble railway has a good workshop, they had to move site to make way for a Supermarket so got a big wad of cash to "facilitate" the process.
    Absolutely this. I got made redundant as most heavy engineering people did in that era. Cast Iron foundry with heavy engineering workshop. Classic dinosaur that was never going to make it. Difficult to find manual lathes but I know of a few small precision engineering places in the area that use standard Harrison ones and the like that look quite good fun.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Casual labour at a glaziers. Smashing time, both literally and metaphorically.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by tiggat View Post
    I do standup comedy as a hobby.
    I don't get it

Leave a comment:

• tiggat
    replied
    I do standup comedy as a hobby.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I once got a job assisting a gynecologist; it gave the chance to look up some old friends.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Did a job as a speech therapist for Dolphins once teaching them how to click properly. Very rewarding that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X