• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Election Day

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Election Day"

Collapse

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Didn't bother in the end. I will vote tactically in the GE but there was nobody I wanted to vote for today.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Went up about half hour before polling station closed. Deserted. Judging from the ticks they had on the list the numbers who had bothered looked very low. Looked about 30%, if that.

I voted for Adolph as usual.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Yes.
    What he/she/it said.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Oh dear.

It's the same myth as those who think because they are on the council tax register they are automatically on the electoral roll. Instead what happens is they are randomly cross checked with each other and credit reference files particularly where people are claiming discounts or benefits.
    I've updated my details online, apparently you have until May 22nd to register for the GE. They DO periodically send out letters asking you to confirm who lives at your address but I think we missed that for the local elections.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    God I hate that tune!

But then I never liked most of Beethoven's music. With a few exceptions, such as the Moonlight Sonata, it has a relentless, neurotically obsessive quality I find rather unpleasant.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I had naively thought that since the council know I've moved, they'd sort this. Apparently not. We're in the same constituency so if we're too late we'll just go to our old polling station...
    Oh dear.

It's the same myth as those who think because they are on the council tax register they are automatically on the electoral roll. Instead what happens is they are randomly cross checked with each other and credit reference files particularly where people are claiming discounts or benefits.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You need to sign up to make sure you can vote in the GE.

Have a look today though it could be too late.
    I had naively thought that since the council know I've moved, they'd sort this. Apparently not. We're in the same constituency so if we're too late we'll just go to our old polling station...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    WE just moved 2 weeks ago; no idea if there are elections here and if we're eligible to vote in them as I've had nothing in the post. I imagine it's even more staunchly Labour than at MP level, an ex-colliery village.
    You need to sign up to make sure you can vote in the GE.

Have a look today though it could be too late.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    WE just moved 2 weeks ago; no idea if there are elections here and if we're eligible to vote in them as I've had nothing in the post. I imagine it's even more staunchly Labour than at MP level, an ex-colliery village.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Its going to change: -

EU, EU über alles,
    Über alles in der Welt,
    Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
    Brüderlich zusammenhält.
    Von der Maas bis an die Merkel,
    Von der Etsch bis an den Belt,
    |: EU, EU über alles,
    Über alles in der Welt! :|

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    We currently have a UKIP councillor who has actually got off his arse and made a bit of a difference to some local projects so he's getting my vote.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The anthem would be EU, EU uber alles....
    It's Beethoven's 9th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiOjzA9K7uw

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Because despite the denials the EU was all about political union.
    The anthem would be EU, EU uber alles....

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    I don't see why EU citizens should have a vote on UK elections. Only British subjects should vote in UK elections.
    I don't see why British subjects should have a vote in UK elections. Elections should be for the people that are affected; i.e. the people that live here permanently, regardless of what their passport says.

No taxation without representation.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    I don't see why EU citizens should have a vote on UK elections. Only British subjects should vote in UK elections.

I've already voted.
    Because despite the denials the EU was all about political union.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X