• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Need a new mic

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Need a new mic"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Need a new mic

e935 + stand and cable cheaper than an e935 on its own, or a beta 58, and it meant The Wife (tm) doesn't buy me clothes for my birthday!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    And failing that, get a chick singer with big tits...
    Some would say we're well on the way. Two big tits on guitars, one on bass and one on keys.

Leave a comment:

• jimjamuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    That normally works....

Although you will find you will spend most of your time looking at the rear view during gigs

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    WHS

If you have a great voice you'll knock em dead through a cheap megaphone.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by jimjamuk View Post
    The SM57/58's would be fine for the level you are at. Been playing in bands for years (trumpet) and its gonna be the PA that will probably be the biggest factor here at this stage unless you got money to burn and want then best kit. When you start doing gigs where a decent external PA company do the setup then you can look at the next level up in quality but then they would supply that for you anyway.

Id go to you local music shop and get the basic setup and see where the band goes. Seen a lot of musicians with "all the gear" but you cant buy talent and for some that's whats been limiting factor
    WHS

If you have a great voice you'll knock em dead through a cheap megaphone.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I record through a 100 quid AKG mic with and a friend of mine bought a really expensive 600 pound mic which had rave reviews in the Internet. I couldn't tell the difference and far more important was singing technique, the amplifier and the mix. In the end I prefer my own recordings because I could tweak to get the sound I wanted.

Leave a comment:

• jimjamuk
    replied
    The SM57/58's would be fine for the level you are at. Been playing in bands for years (trumpet) and its gonna be the PA that will probably be the biggest factor here at this stage unless you got money to burn and want then best kit. When you start doing gigs where a decent external PA company do the setup then you can look at the next level up in quality but then they would supply that for you anyway.

Id go to you local music shop and get the basic setup and see where the band goes. Seen a lot of musicians with "all the gear" but you cant buy talent and for some that's whats been limiting factor

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    With a minimal "pub gig" PA I think that's very unlikely. We use SM58s at church as the classic live mic but 90% of it is about the PA mix IMO and that's with a half-decent rig. If people can hear you and it's not distorting I'd count that as a win
    OOOft........that's fighting talk wor Biffa......

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You will be hard pressed to tell the difference between the different types of Sennheise, Shure or AKG mics. More important is how the PA is set up. I would just go down the shop and pick the mic you like the best. They're all good enough.
    Tru dat. You mostly need to spend time EQing the singers on the PA and getting the reverb right. If you're using a house PA with a house engineer, you're going to sound tulipe anyway. Dry mixes cause the engineer can't be arsed but will slap you if you try to touch his desk

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    What I want to make sure is that the mic isn't the weak link in the chain
    With a minimal "pub gig" PA I think that's very unlikely. We use SM58s at church as the classic live mic but 90% of it is about the PA mix IMO and that's with a half-decent rig. If people can hear you and it's not distorting I'd count that as a win

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    We know that, I mean the technical weak link.
    You will be hard pressed to tell the difference between the different types of Sennheise, Shure or AKG mics. More important is how the PA is set up. I would just go down the shop and pick the mic you like the best. They're all good enough.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    technically its still the person behind the mic.

I think you meant technological ..

Pedant!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    technically its still the person behind the mic.

I think you meant technological ..

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Be careful in case the weak link becomes the person behind the mic....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    What I want to make sure is that the mic isn't the weak link in the chain
    Be careful in case the weak link becomes the person behind the mic....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X