• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sharp rise in prices in coming weeks"

Collapse

• NigelJK
    replied
    Generally companies give money to their employees
    And farms them out/ makes huge profits from their exploitation. Let's see, your ltd co 'pays' you the max allowable for 0 tax and farms you out at a daily rate far in excess of that, correct? It's the business model used the world over (but this is an outlier as you're the one reaping the benefits of the model).

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm starting to get worried now......shall I cancel the order for a new Bentley and make do with an S Class and muddle through?

I've already scrapped my new Porsche for a Jag or Aston (dependent on engine). Shame. Lovely cars but the Germans are no longer competitive. At least it's the German economy that's being hit and not ours.

Even as we are growing the Eurozone can't even meet previous estimates. The Eurozone as a whole and Germany in particular downgraded. Shame.
    Last edited by GB9; 15 February 2017, 22:35.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    The liberal in me does not use the term 3rd world.
    And does this gentleman have a name?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Developing sounds quite a positive word.
    The liberal in me does not use the term 3rd world.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm starting to get worried now......shall I cancel the order for a new Bentley and make do with an S Class and muddle through?

No, keep the Bentley. You might want to reconsider the fur coat though....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    All n all it is probably a good thing. The country needs to declare bankruptcy. We're broke. It is true debt levels to GDP are not the same historically speaking. However there's a significant difference. The economy is well and truly broken. Interest rates prove this. The economy has been broken for some years now. The cost of living has exploded in the past 10-15 years whilst wages have barely moved. And that's not to mention the cost of housing.

How will it unfold?

Prices will increase, people will buy less. Alarm bells should ring when domestic demand starts to fall as a result. GDP will now suffer as domestic demand plummets, there's now even less income in taxes for the exchequer. Suddenly the ratings agencies get wise, servicing our debts become a struggle. Credit ratings drop and our international lenders begin to increase the interest on our loans.

Investors start dumping sterling. Remember all the QE we dumped into the system? Watch it now come to bite back big style.

In years to come the brexiters may well just be credited with transforming the UK into a developing nation.
    Tulip Germany is bankrupt???

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Developing sounds quite a positive word.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    All n all it is probably a good thing. The country needs to declare bankruptcy. We're broke. It is true debt levels to GDP are not the same historically speaking. However there's a significant difference. The economy is well and truly broken. Interest rates prove this. The economy has been broken for some years now. The cost of living has exploded in the past 10-15 years whilst wages have barely moved. And that's not to mention the cost of housing.

How will it unfold?

Prices will increase, people will buy less. Alarm bells should ring when domestic demand starts to fall as a result. GDP will now suffer as domestic demand plummets, there's now even less income in taxes for the exchequer. Suddenly the ratings agencies get wise, servicing our debts become a struggle. Credit ratings drop and our international lenders begin to increase the interest on our loans.

Investors start dumping sterling. Remember all the QE we dumped into the system? Watch it now come to bite back big style.

In years to come the brexiters may well just be credited with transforming the UK into a developing nation.
    And what has that sentence got to do with the argument up to that point. Remove the referendum result and nowt has changed..

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

How will it unfold?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Going forward this year, we is fooked. Luckily I found out that Guernsey doesn't charge VAT, so does anyone want a new iPhone?
    Are you suggesting you're going to avoid declaring purchases made in the channel islands on your return to the mainland?!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    This isn't a surprise is it? I posted this back in the summer when we voted for Brexit and the currency collapsed.

Importing is around 9 months behind, so as we gorged ourselves over Xmas, everything else that was to be imported had been hit by the 20% drop in the dollar. The only bit that confused me was the rise in the FTSE (because of the drop).

Going forward this year, we is fooked. Luckily I found out that Guernsey doesn't charge VAT, so does anyone want a new iPhone?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    We've heard it for the last 8 months. It's always coming.
    It's already started.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    What is to stop businesses putting up prices and blaming brexit? In fact didn't a big supermarket try and do that?

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    So just to summarise. We've had 5 pages of Brexiters denying a Times article that prices are about to shoot up.
    Let's see shall we....
    We've heard it for the last 8 months. It's always coming.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X