• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you eat ice cream?"

Collapse

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The English word is "Medronho".

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    ...I don't know how to say Medronho in English so I inserted the picture here.

The English word is "Medronho".

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    QED. You think it out of order (as do I but that's not the point), others don't. It's not offensive, homophobic or anything else, just marginally bad taste. There's a world of difference. Offensive, AFAIC, is anything about gross differences such as impairment. But it still says a lot more about the person making the "joke" than anything else. Ignore the morons - especially those telling us to be offended - and move on.
    At surface level it's just bad taste, not intended as an insult to gay people I'm sure.

But all these kind of jokes are predicated on the idea that being gay is in some way 'worse' than not being gay (or a woman, or black, or Irish or fat or ginger). It's not simply an assertion that gay people eat ice-cream. That wouldn't be amusing... it's the implication that if he were gay that would be a bad thing. It's done at a subconscious level but ultimately it's exactly the same as when we were kids and would call each other gay/bum-chums as an insult. We didn't actually think the other kid was gay but on some level we were educated that being gay was 2nd-class.

Bit of a serious reply and actually I think comedy based on stereotypes is not the worst thing. I'm happy to hear jokes about my inability to dance or talk to tradesmen or taxi drivers But you gotta be careful.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    My favourite is rum and raisin ice cream, but nowhere in the UK ever seems to sell it.
    You should try mango ice cream with medronho's licor, it's a kind of brandy.

I don't know how to say Medronho in English so I inserted the picture here.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Do you eat ice cream?

I'm starting to wonder about BrilloPad's obsession with extrapolation. A quick bit of statistical analysis reveals that 50% of his posts are about it.

(Based on this thread)

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    And based on our small sample, there are no gay people who don't eat ice cream.
    And on CUK we never extrapolate...

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    If you are not offended then you are self hating

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    which, taking Hammond's point literally, rather proves he's right!

(To my knowledge he never said _only_ gay people ate ice cream.)

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The kidz today use the word "gay" to mean simply effete or refined, and no doubt that's what Hammond meant.

Anyway, while we've been arguing, has anyone noticed that the "yes and I'm gay" option has two votes?!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
    Hammond should and does know better, so why do you think he made his comments?
    The kidz today use the word "gay" to mean simply effete or refined, and no doubt that's what Hammond meant.

Anyway, while we've been arguing, has anyone noticed that the "yes and I'm gay" option has two votes?!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    You are missing the fookin point - it was a non comment.

The only people who are getting upset about it are people who have fook all better to do with their lives.

Is it the fact that you like ice cream and are not gay which is upsetting you?

Is it the fact you are gay and do not like ice cream?

Or is it simply the fact that someone said the word 'gay' in a context which you have been told should be offensive and so now you feel you have been 'offended' and someone should do something to make you feel better?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Because he's an ignorant w***er, and wants to increase publicity for their the show which is already the most pirated Amazon one ever?

Leave a comment:

• teapot418
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    QED. You think it out of order (as do I but that's not the point), others don't. It's not offensive, homophobic or anything else, just marginally bad taste. There's a world of difference. Offensive, AFAIC, is anything about gross differences such as impairment. But it still says a lot more about the person making the "joke" than anything else. Ignore the morons - especially those telling us to be offended - and move on.

Is that the same 52% that don't understand metaphors I wonder...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    We don't have to be "outraged", but we can wonder why Hammond thinks it's still fine to make "gay" jokes. Some of us have moved on.

52% of the population don't have balls.
    Is that the same 52% that don't understand metaphors I wonder...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    My favourite is rum and raisin ice cream, but nowhere in the UK ever seems to sell it.
    That's cos proper rum is alcoholic. They use to sell it...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X