• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hypocritical virtue signalling celebrities"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    According to the Express anyway, Geldorf actually said something sensible this week.

Bob Geldof's Brexit backtrack: Singer admits European Union doesn't work | UK | News | Daily Express

Just shows that the biggest plonkers have some reasonable views (AKA views that agree with mine) at times.

PS With perhaps one exception, Ken Clarke. If that arrogant *** ever says anything decent the world will end.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Isn't 50k low for a contractor?
    Depends what line you're in. I'm betting you're not in the engineering sector.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    She is a self obsessed celebrity who insulted the country trying to blame us for a tragedy we didn't cause.
    I don't think she said we caused it or blamed us for it? She blamed us for our response (or lack thereof) to it. Who cares what she thinks... apparently lots of people here do though.

This other chap is grossly overpaid for kicking a ball around but made a nice honest gesture good on him.
    Oh the irony of a contractor calling someone "grossly overpaid". We of all people should understand that nobody is worth anything other than what someone is prepared to pay them.

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Not easy been famous and stupidly rich, yer know
    You jest but if you look at so many rich famous peoples' lives, I think there's a lot of truth there.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I was going to Like until I hit the Lily bit. She is a self obsessed celebrity who insulted the country trying to blame us for a tragedy we didn't cause. It was typical Bob Gerroff / Bonio - give us your FFFin money - forget I'm a millionaire tax exile.

This other chap is grossly overpaid for kicking a ball around but made a nice honest gesture good on him.
    Not easy been famous and stupidly rich, yer know

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I am NOT saying you lot should be giving 20k. Or that I should. I am praising Rio and countering the typical "he's rich it's no big deal" argument by saying it still IS a big deal. After DA's attack on Lily's Calais visit it's nice to see someone give a ton of money themself as well as promote causes.
    I was going to Like until I hit the Lily bit. She is a self obsessed celebrity who insulted the country trying to blame us for a tragedy we didn't cause. It was typical Bob Gerroff / Bonio - give us your FFFin money - forget I'm a millionaire tax exile.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I am NOT saying you lot should be giving 20k. Or that I should. I am praising Rio and countering the typical "he's rich it's no big deal" argument by saying it still IS a big deal. After DA's attack on Lily's Calais visit it's nice to see someone give a ton of money themself as well as promote causes.
    Yes, but trying to draw some parallel with us and a footballer makes no sense.

I do agree it is a generous and well directed gesture though, in any case.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    FFS, stop blabbing about it on here and go and give 20K away then.

Then you would have a charity tail to tell too
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I said average. I've been working 20 years but only went contracting in 2009.

You've got extra cash to your contracting income so don't get all preachy on us.

Leave a comment:

• BoggyMcCBoggyFace
    replied
    I assume Rio / his business can get some tax rebate for his charitable contribution ?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Isn't 50k low for a contractor? If I'd been contracting successfully for 15 years 10-20k would be significant but wouldn't really affect me. That's one year's ISA nothing more

Anyway my point was: good on him.
    I said average. I've been working 20 years but only went contracting in 2009.

You've got extra cash to your contracting income so don't get all preachy on us.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Isn't 50k low for a contractor? If I'd been contracting successfully for 15 years 10-20k would be significant but wouldn't really affect me. That's one year's ISA nothing more

FFS, stop blabbing about it on here and go and give 20K away then.

Then you would have a charity tail to tell too

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If I'd earned, on average, £2.5million per year for the last fifteen years, I wouldn't miss half a million. If you've been on £50k average for the last 15 years, you'd miss ten grand. I give to charity and help out voluntarily with junior sports. I don't make a big song and dance about it though (unless I'm DJing a fundraiser for free).

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It isn't about how much money one has, if one is of a generous nature then giving a large sum is easy. Much more difficult for us Scrooges. I must have donated at least three quid to charity within the last few years and it really hurt! In a way that matters, I have made a much greater sacrifice for others.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    If I'd earned, on average, £2.5million per year for the last fifteen years, I wouldn't miss half a million. If you've been on £50k average for the last 15 years, you'd miss ten grand. I give to charity and help out voluntarily with junior sports. I don't make a big song and dance about it though (unless I'm DJing a fundraiser for free).
    Didn't know you were a necromancer of the wheels of steel!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    so many shoes so little money?

I think he does a lot more

Rio Ferdinand Foundation

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Giving that is nothing of the sort for us. That always makes me laugh. His lifestyle wouldn't be affected in the slightest by this lovely gesture. My wife would de-bollock me if I gave 15 grand to charity.
    Exactly - you've got to take into account overheads. The richer you are, the greater, as a proportion of your income, is your disposable income. At least, if you're being sensible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X