• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So I think its finally dawned on IPSE's management"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I don't want to be a employee which is why I'm now well away from the public sector.
    Good on you. I went the other way. I don't want to pay the tax. There are no contracts for me. So I became an employee again. But not in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Come on, you aren't seriously suggesting you want to be an employee of the brolly/agency AND still pretend to be a business? You can't even claim flat rate VAT or expenses any more. How many people are going to do this? Seriously?
    I don't want to be a employee which is why I'm now well away from the public sector.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    At best VAT is utterly irrelevant to any IR35 argument. At worst it leaves the rest of the consultation response being treated as ill-informed gibberish...

Looking at the contempt with which IPSE's arguments were listened to I suspect the latter is what happened.
    Given that HMRC also ignored everyone else as part of the consultation, maybe its not IPSE that in ineffective, but HMRC are stubborn?

Leave a comment:

• seeourbee
    replied
    Bloody iPhone !!

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    FTFY.

The treasury building that houses the HMRC sty is at 100 Parliament St.
    Maybe the tea and biccies are not so good there eh?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by seeourbee View Post
    They need to speak to 100 Parliament St not No.10
    FTFY.

The treasury building that houses the HMRC sty is at 100 Parliament St.

Leave a comment:

• seeourbee
    replied
    They need to speak to 1 Parliament St not No.10

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by seeourbee View Post
    They certainly don't need their expensive offices right in the heart of Westminster. No need for that at all. All it says to me is that they like to 'live the life'.
    Hang on a minute, now you're questioning the strategy to be at the very heart of politics and enjoy the hospitality of number 10. To be a respectable lobbyist rather than a pain in the bum. You just can't do that. The strategy has clearly failed/is failing, but never mind.

Leave a comment:

• seeourbee
    replied
    They certainly don't need their expensive offices right in the heart of Westminster. No need for that at all. All it says to me is that they like to 'live the life'.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    True but remember
    1. VAT is different.
    2. Your company is still invoicing the agency £2000 a week say. The fact that the agency is only paying you £1000 a week after tax is deducted / withheld is irrelevant to the Customs and Excise side of HMRC.

I think the issue is that people assume that HMRC is a single entity when it really isn't. It's 2 separate entities (1) Customs and Excise and (2) HMRC and you need to treat them as that.
    Come on, you aren't seriously suggesting you want to be an employee of the brolly/agency AND still pretend to be a business? You can't even claim flat rate VAT or expenses any more. How many people are going to do this? Seriously?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

I think the issue is that people assume that HMRC is a single entity when it really isn't. It's 2 separate entities (1) Customs and Excise (VAT) and (2) Inland Revenue (Tax) and you need to treat them as that.
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    True but remember
    1. VAT is different.
    2. Your company is still invoicing the agency £2000 a week say. The fact that the agency is only paying you £1000 a week after tax is deducted / withheld is irrelevant to the Customs and Excise side of HMRC.

I think the issue is that people assume that HMRC is a single entity when it really isn't. It's 2 separate entities (1) Customs and Excise and (2) HMRC and you need to treat them as that.
    If you are still operating through a Ltd. what will need to happen is that the VAT component of the invoice needs to be treated separately so that your co. can then pay it to HMRC. Otherwise you are going to end up seriously out of pocket.

Brolly users won't be affected by this as you are an employee of the brolly and VAT is dealt with by them.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Surely, once you are all on the agency or umbrella payroll, there will be no VAT to pay to the employee? When I was an employee of VeryBigCo PLC, they never paid me any VAT with my salary?
    True but remember
    1. VAT is different.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Surely, once you are all on the agency or umbrella payroll, there will be no VAT to pay to the employee? When I was an employee of VeryBigCo PLC, they never paid me any VAT with my salary?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I know employment taxes in the UK are insidious and extremely high, but since when did an employer pay VAT on an employee's salary?
    Now that is a valid argument - its not however the one IPSE has down there. The mitigating comment from HMRC would be that VAT is not actually our money but something we collect on behalf of HMRC...

Also the logic goes - Local authority pays £100 VAT to Agency, Agency pays £80 VAT to contractor - we pay £80 to HMRC, Agency pays £20 to HMRC the local authority claims the £100 back from HMRC see https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ess-activities

Hence in this world its a accounting issue more than actual revenue....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X