• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are people inherently stupid when it comes to money?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I thought the the ExMrsBP's had already worked that plan faultlessly!

naughty!

not as well as this one

Mother awarded family's entire £550k estate in 'extraordinary' 100pc divorce ruling - Telegraph

though to be fair he does seem a very bad boy.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    She sounds stupid.

Can you post her contact details? Plan B is to fleece the stupid...
    I thought the the ExMrsBP's had already worked that plan faultlessly!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Basic money management like how to create a budget, how borrowing and saving work, what a mortgage is, should be mandatory. You could say the parents should teach the children how to read and write and do simple arithmetic; more parents know those things!

All these financial things can very easily be covered as part of the existing curriculum as it's basic arithmetic, you just apply the context. Relying on parents who may not know themselves just perpetuates the issue.

I'm not saying we should have GCSE questions "Tarquin's fathers earn £34k collectively, if they get 99% mortgages how many BTLs can they buy" just basic, useful skills. Hell if you think education should focus on the more pure academic stuff then teach it along with woodwork and IT as a namby pamby life skill module!
    Oddly it was actually taught in my schools but not in one subject area.

So it was taught in Maths, History and Personal Development as we had a bank come into our school.

However if you asked anyone apart from those in the top set with me they would claim they weren't taught anything about money management in school.

So I expect other schools do cover it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    What do people have parents for?

You can't make schools teach everything otherwise they get accused of teaching leftish or rightish views.
    Basic money management like how to create a budget, how borrowing and saving work, what a mortgage is, should be mandatory. You could say the parents should teach the children how to read and write and do simple arithmetic; more parents know those things!

All these financial things can very easily be covered as part of the existing curriculum as it's basic arithmetic, you just apply the context. Relying on parents who may not know themselves just perpetuates the issue.

I'm not saying we should have GCSE questions "Tarquin's fathers earn £34k collectively, if they get 99% mortgages how many BTLs can they buy" just basic, useful skills. Hell if you think education should focus on the more pure academic stuff then teach it along with woodwork and IT as a namby pamby life skill module!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I was going to say what some here dismiss as "stupidity" is exactly how things may work in other countries.

It's not primarily a question of stupidity, it's a question of poor education. This stuff isn't (or at least wasn't) taught at school as part of basic money education which would be more useful than learning P=IV and the capital of Australia.
    What do people have parents for?

You can't make schools teach everything otherwise they get accused of teaching leftish or rightish views.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    She's not totally in la la land. There are mortgage products that do exactly that. You just pay interest and they take the house when you snuff it.

In Switzerland, mortgages are inherited. It's repayment that's unusual (because interest payments are tax deductible against the wealth tax).
    I was going to say what some here dismiss as "stupidity" is exactly how things may work in other countries.

It's not primarily a question of stupidity, it's a question of poor education. This stuff isn't (or at least wasn't) taught at school as part of basic money education which would be more useful than learning P=IV and the capital of Australia.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    How did that contractor loan scheme work out for you?
    He accidentally loaned himself a tenner and went bust on the interest.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    She sounds stupid.

How did that contractor loan scheme work out for you?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    She sounds stupid.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    it will cost her more?
    Because her daughter owns some of it....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I didn't listen to the program, but possibly her hubbie organized the mortgage originally. So speculating on her intelligence or otherwise may be irrelevant.

As someone has already pointed out, in so many words, what is to stop her getting equity release and repaying the mortgage out of that?
    it will cost her more?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

partially but such a contract does require a certain investment of intelligence.

If she is mentally sub standard then possibly.
    I didn't listen to the program, but possibly her hubbie organized the mortgage originally. So speculating on her intelligence or otherwise may be irrelevant.

As someone has already pointed out, in so many words, what is to stop her getting equity release and repaying the mortgage out of that?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    What were her repayment conditions on her actual loan?

The first io mortgage i had 30 ish years ago had no term and was, in fact, silent on capital repayments. In those circumstances it is reasonable to be aggrieved on a repayment demand.

Of course my current io, which is offset, is explicit.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I heard this on R4 moneybox repeat tonight. She was very well spoken and confident. I thought it was an actor at first. Some of the stuff she said just didn't make sense though. She expected them to give her a repayment mortgage on a lower rate so she could pay the capital off. Just give her it. No lending criteria or affordability checks. That alone shows she's just not got it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    I feel the same about extended warranties and PPI. Surely people understand that insurance companies are there to make money? a little bit of savings to cover unexpected costs will save you a fortune in the long run.
    PPI was sold to people who said "No". They got the paper work and found it had automatically been ticked for them.

Other people were told they couldn't get the loan or credit card if they didn't agree to PPI.

Complaining against financial institutions can be a lot of hassle as I learnt last year with Nationwide.

They try all sorts of tricks to not to deal with your complaint from lying to pretending they don't receive your complaint letters to accusing you of being abusive. Most people don't record phone calls so can't prove they behaved themselves and don't send complaint letters by recorded delivery.

In regards to extended warranties I have said to companies for the past few years something along the lines off "So you are admitting the product you have made/sold has a fault with it?" Oddly they they stop trying to sell the warranty to me...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X