• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Indian call centres in the news"

Collapse

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I solve this by never answering my landline...
    Landlines are broken.

In this day-and-age why would anyone want a device in their house that's sole use is to allow fraudsters to contact them directly?

Even my ageing parents now usually call me on my mobile.

Literally the only calls I get on my home phone are:

PPI Insurance, Something about "An accident I had that wasn't my fault" ( I had a crash 4 years ago. It was entirely my fault ) and some helpful chap with a thick accent from Microsoft Support Center telling me they've detected a problem with my computer.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Hi I'm Dave I have Herpes
    Quoting for future reference.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Mobile only, easy to block numbers and put the call on silent or press ignore.
    My VDSL router also handles telephony - similarly easy to block numbers, number ranges. Any number withheld calls go straight to answer machine.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Bastards now seem to have a trick whereby they spoof a local number.

I see my local STD code & I think it's going to be the opticians ringing about my prescription or something & there's somebody on the line from Bangalore instead.

I don't even talk, just put the phone straight down.

I thought I'd subscribed to some BT service that blocked all that cr@p
    Hi I'm Dave I have Herpes

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    I see my local STD code & I think it's going to be the opticians...
    Should have gone to Spec... oh wait

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Innocent explanation. It's part of the four week computer science degree they were doing, prior to getting ICT Visas to work for Lloyds and RBS.
    Brilliant and so true

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    I have fibre broadband, no landline, no monthly landline rental, no cold calls, or other spam callers.

Mobile only, easy to block numbers and put the call on silent or press ignore.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Bastards now seem to have a trick whereby they spoof a local number.

I see my local STD code & I think it's going to be the opticians ringing about my prescription or something & there's somebody on the line from Bangalore instead.

I don't even talk, just put the phone straight down.

I thought I'd subscribed to some BT service that blocked all that cr@p

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Good idea, also you will avoid any vengeful Japanese spirit that wants to give you 7 days to live.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Loads of people don't now.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    They're trying it over here now. Just had a call from a machine telling me HMRC has just filed a lawsuit, press 1 etc...
    Pressed 1 for the fun of it, got a Bob, hung up. HMRC are aware apparently, but the feckers are getting their info from somewhere. Offshorers will be first against the wall when I get to power.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    The real issue there again resides in the US. Where did the list of "150,000 tax defaulters" come from then?

Most likely an Excel sheet

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    The Nigerians are offshoring their operations?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    The real issue there again resides in the US. Where did the list of "150,000 tax defaulters" come from then?
    Talk Talk?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X