• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buying a house next to busy road"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Depends on the speed limit. 30 mph, then doesn't matter that much.

My Grandparents lived on a busy main road, didn't notice it when I visited or stayed over, sure there is traffic noise but you just "don't hear it".

If it's a fast road and lots of lorries probably a different matter.
    Originally posted by AnnaDanishek
    My Grandparents lived on a busy main road, didn't notice it when I visited or stayed over, sure there is traffic noise but you just "don't hear it".

I'm noticing a trend here.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I agree too much is as bad as too little. However the fitter they are the better they work at school.
    Yeah exercise helps with sleep, sleep helps with concentration etc etc

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Maybe because school age children have more demands on their time than a toddler who can play all day. You can't pull out on piece of NHS advice to back up your point and call into question another about the next category up.

Any kid or adult has their limit and then they get tired and arsey. A teacher needs kids with some energy left to devote to their studies. Not tired out worn out children. This needs factoring in. We was doing too much with our daughter and she was visibly worn out so we dropped a couple of out of school activities and she is much happier now. Knowing when to stop is as important as when to push a kid further.

Great for them but maybe you are in danger of judging others based on your own kids success. Not everyone has the same sporting ability or interest. My daughter loves swimming and riding her bike.
    I was never really sporty, my wife ran marathons at a reasonable level when she was younger.

My kids are better. Yes they watch too much box but they are also good at sports.

I agree too much is as bad as too little. However the fitter they are the better they work at school.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    So because of a religion you are adding pollution to your local environment and denying your daughter access to healthy exercise on a daily basis?
    Yeah and we also keep her in a cage with no food or water

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    So because of a religion you are adding pollution to your local environment and denying your daughter access to healthy exercise on a daily basis?

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Yes I read that not sure why they recommend less exercise for school age children.
    Maybe because school age children have more demands on their time than a toddler who can play all day. You can't pull out on piece of NHS advice to back up your point and call into question another about the next category up.

Having children from mid teens to a 2 year old and been a youth leader when younger I can assure you that children's capacity for exercise is pretty limitless if you let it be so. Yes they will be tired next day but the day after they will want to go further.
    Any kid or adult has their limit and then they get tired and arsey. A teacher needs kids with some energy left to devote to their studies. Not tired out worn out children. This needs factoring in. We was doing too much with our daughter and she was visibly worn out so we dropped a couple of out of school activities and she is much happier now. Knowing when to stop is as important as when to push a kid further.

My daughters play netball at county level & Row at national level so we probably broke them earlier when we made them walk.
    Great for them but maybe you are in danger of judging others based on your own kids success. Not everyone has the same sporting ability or interest. My daughter loves swimming and riding her bike.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Yes I read that not sure why they recommend less exercise for school age children.

Having children from mid teens to a 2 year old and been a youth leader when younger I can assure you that children's capacity for exercise is pretty limitless if you let it be so. Yes they will be tired next day but the day after they will want to go further.

My daughters play netball at county level & Row at national level so we probably broke them earlier when we made them walk.

I'm a fat slob who doesn't want his children to be like him.

I agree there doesn't seem to be time but with our smallest the evening my wife works we go out and walk for a few hours while the other children go to their clubs. Its no problem getting her to sleep after that.

My wife does walk them to school but as a child minder she does have the opportunity to do so.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    NHS

that is 9 to 12 miles by my reckoning so 2 miles each way is a very good start.

My 2 year old does about a 1 mile to school to drop her friend off. Not every day she is only 2.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/D...-5-walking.pdf

That document is aimed at pre-school children... Its not the best science to take three hours of activity and turn that into x number of miles. Climbing, skipping, general play is what they are talking about as much as walking mileage.

The guidance for school aged children is fundamentally different.

Guidelines for 5- to 18-year-olds
    To maintain a basic level of health, children and young people aged 5 to 18 need to do:
    at least 60 minutes of physical activity every day - this should range from moderate activity, such as cycling and playground activities, to vigorous activity, such as running and tennis
    Physical activity guidelines for young people - Live Well - NHS Choices

If I walked her to and from school every day then that is going to take at best 1 and 1/2 hours walking a day. Plus morning break running around, afternoon breaking running around, the fact the kids dont sit at desks all day in the classroom and then all the activities she does outside of school - swimming lessons, stage school, rainbows etc etc.

Its clear to see subjecting her to such long walks to and from school, as well as not being practical as I pointed out above, are quite possibly going to leave her very tired out for other activities during the day.

Also keep in mind a 2.3 mile trip for a kid is a 4.6 mile round trip for the parent, twice a day and any other siblings in tow.

I used to walk 0.5 miles to my primary and 1 mile to my secondary. Which are reasonable school walks for the age groups. Anything more I would consider the car instead but I am speaking as a working parent and everything that goes with that.
    Last edited by dx4100; 10 May 2016, 00:02.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What do you mean by 'recommended distance for a 5 year old'? Distance walk to school, total distance to walk in a day, maximum distance they should be able to walk? And recommended by who?
    NHS

Children of pre-school age who are capable of walking
    unaided should be physically active daily for at least 180
    minutes (3 hours), spread throughout the day.*
    that is 9 to 12 miles by my reckoning so 2 miles each way is a very good start.

My 2 year old does about a 1 mile to school to drop her friend off. Not every day she is only 2.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/D...-5-walking.pdf

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    why not?

recommended distance for a 5 year old is about 2 miles.
    What do you mean by 'recommended distance for a 5 year old'? Distance walk to school, total distance to walk in a day, maximum distance they should be able to walk? And recommended by who?

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    why not?

It's practicality....

I would have to walk her 2+ miles to school, then walk 2+ miles back to my house, to get into my car to drive past the school to get to work. Then factor in the average 5-6 year old not being the quickest form of life in the world. Factor forgetting the book bag, water bottle or class pet and having to go back for it. Factor in the wind, rain and snow. Factor in working for a living. Factor in what time you would have to set off and get out of bed to do it.

And then repeat it all at pick up time

Its not happening is it and I don't buy for a second you would do that either or any one else out of choice.
    Last edited by dx4100; 9 May 2016, 15:13.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I think its great if you are close enough to walk and you have the time and so on. It would be our preferred option. My daughters school is 2.3 miles away so there is no chance of us walking it with a six year old
    why not?

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    5 children per year, but how many years per class?
    Yeah they mix the kids up in some schools.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Teacher to children ratios must be fantastic. We are lucky that there are only 25 in my daughters class while most are 30. There are some village school though where they have just 5 children per year.

You can see why they try to close them....
    5 children per year, but how many years per class?

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I really like little village schools. My wife works at one although they are being closed where the government can get away with it.
    Teacher to children ratios must be fantastic. We are lucky that there are only 25 in my daughters class while most are 30. There are some village school though where they have just 5 children per year.

You can see why they try to close them....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X