• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a house next to busy road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    I used to rent a flat on a busy London high street. The traffic noise was generally ok until you opened a window. However there were traffic lights outside the flat and the screetch of bus brakes was unbearable. ...
    Been there, suffered that, and in my case also a loose drain cover, that would go CLANK-CLUNK every few seconds each time a vehicle drove over it.

The council tried fixing it over and over again, but it would always be back to its CLANK-CLUNKing within a week or two.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Agreed, houses like that should pretty much be free. Location is all that matters, everything else can be changed.
      So central London houses should be free?

+1 for spending some time listening both from the road and from inside the house and round the back. If you're used to city living maybe you wouldn't notice, I wouldn't like a constant hum of traffic personally because I like to be outside but if you never open windows or have BBQs, maybe it doesn't matter.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Buy it. Then sell it next year for a million.....

Comment

Depends on the speed limit. 30 mph, then doesn't matter that much.

My Grandparents lived on a busy main road, didn't notice it when I visited or stayed over, sure there is traffic noise but you just "don't hear it".

If it's a fast road and lots of lorries probably a different matter.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            I am having similar concerns about a house that has mainline train tracks running behind the back garden. Again, a really good house - for BTL - in many ways: it's big, will make a great HMO and is less than 10 minutes walk to station (trains to London take 20 minutes) and town.

I wonder if triple-glazed windows might make a difference.

If I was buying for myself/family to live in then I wouldn't even consider it, but as a multi-let it seems good.
            Train lines are not actually a problem especially if they are in London or big city, and the garden is big.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Agreed, houses like that should pretty much be free. Location is all that matters, everything else can be changed.
              Feel sorry for these poor sods (I wonder if the current owners bought before the A12 was expanded to the size it is today but it must have surely always been a busy road)...imagine living here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.87...7i13312!8i6656

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                Feel sorry for these poor sods (I wonder if the current owners bought before the A12 was expanded to the size it is today but it must have surely always been a busy road)...imagine living here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.87...7i13312!8i6656
                The one on the far right is the OPs planned purchase
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  The one on the far right is the OPs planned purchase
                  Are there anymore real contractors left on this website?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Been there, suffered that, and in my case also a loose drain cover, that would go CLANK-CLUNK every few seconds each time a vehicle drove over it.

The council tried fixing it over and over again, but it would always be back to its CLANK-CLUNKing within a week or two.
                    Ouch - and noise isn't the only thing to consider:

UK air pollution is a 'public health emergency

MPs: UK air pollution is a 'public health emergency' | Environment | The Guardian

Comment

Works for me...

Comment

Working...
                      X