• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Generation spent

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Generation spent"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Put 'em all in the bin. Sorted.

The Dumpster Project

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Not far from me they wanted to build a load of studios for single working people. The planning application was rejected as the number of properties was too much in that space. In the end they build one and two bedroom flats.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    The most confusing thing bout the rental market here is the lack of purpose-built lets for anyone but students and the poor. I'm hoping that will change as I'm not terribly keen on getting back on the property ladder and being dependent upon random btl people for housing stock sucks.

There's lots of things that suck about the economy, but I don't see a reason to pile on an entire generation of folk about that. If people generally didn't buy into the idea you had to own your own home and non-residents were barred from the property market I think a lot of things would be better.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    2003. 2 million of them about Iraq war. But his Blairness listened to God.

They would have been better off trying my idea of a "Downing Streak" protest.
    The Iraq marchers didn't riot.

If people of different ages sign petitions and march on an issue, then at least one group has a full scale riot I think politicians will listen.

I do remember one campaigner on the issue saying it was the retired who were the group not interested in building more houses. They are the group who are mostly likely to moan about new technology and how buying it's expensive whether it's microfibre cloths used for cleaning or a smartphone so you can get a job.

Lots of Baby Boomers have children who have either moved far from them to afford to buy property or cannot afford it at all so are living at home.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    What I like is the way they post about having sex. When I was younger there was so much sex around we did not need to go on about it. It seems to be rare now.
    Them dinosaurs were easy!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    When was the last time we saw a march on Downing Street? We have that online thing now, where for example 600,000 signed about Meningitis vaccine for everyone, and govt responded with one page online rebuttal saying "no feck orf"
    2003. 2 million of them about Iraq war. But his Blairness listened to God.

They would have been better off trying my idea of a "Downing Streak" protest.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Voting. And I like SueEllen's suggestion about lieing to pollsters! I thought I was the only one who did that.

I would prefer them to march on Downing street and lynch Cameron. But then I think everyone should do that. The useless toffee nosed self centred git.
    When was the last time we saw a march on Downing Street? We have that online thing now, where for example 600,000 signed about Meningitis vaccine for everyone, and govt responded with one page online rebuttal saying "no feck orf"

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    They do, millions of them. They tweet about it, put something next to a selfie on facebook saying they want a house and they probably mention it whilst playing the PS4.
    What I like is the way they post about having sex. When I was younger there was so much sex around we did not need to go on about it. It seems to be rare now.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Such as?
    Voting. And I like SueEllen's suggestion about lieing to pollsters! I thought I was the only one who did that.

I would prefer them to march on Downing street and lynch Cameron. But then I think everyone should do that. The useless toffee nosed self centred git.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Then its about time they did something about it.
    Such as?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    They do, millions of them. They tweet about it, put something next to a selfie on facebook saying they want a house and they probably mention it whilst playing the PS4.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    younger folk are completely screwed.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Generation spent

Originally posted by expat View Post
    In dogged pursuit of your idée fixe, you bundle so many different erroneous ideas together, that it is hard to know where to start.

The country (but not the Boomers personally) did have a windfall of oil and gas. Essentially the government of the day blew it by selling it to foreign interests for cash which they then used to cut higher rate taxes and keep strutting the world stage as a "Great Power". At that time Boomers were not high earners yet so they did not benefit from the tax cuts.

Windfall coal? No, that was the 19th century you're thinking of there. Windfall gold? No really, can you explain that one? If you are referring to Gordon Brown's selling of half the country's gold reserves, please explain how that amounted to a windfall for the Boomers?

Redundancy and early retirement? That's the generation before the Boomers who gained from that phase. Please distinguish between generations more carefully: just being older than you Boomer.

Final salary pensions? I repeat, that's public sector. Not Boomers in general.

Free education? I'm for it. Actually in Scotland we still have it. In England you don't because it was in effect exchanged for tax cuts by the votes of Thatcher's Children - and that is not the Boomers. Incidentally the end of free education didn't save me any money, it cost me, because we were in England at the time and I felt that I had to support my 2 children through the 3 degrees they did between them: "free" education paid from taxes would have cost me less!

House prices? I agree with you completely about how toxic the UK housing market has become. I spent 1990-2015 outside the UK so I have seen elsewhere in Europe how it need not be so, and how in a decent rental market one does not need to buy a house. But the rental market in the UK is even more toxic than the buying market. When I came back to the UK, I eventually bought a house in 2007 even though I didn't want to, because I just couldn't stand the indignities of the rental market any more.

But don't blame the Boomers for the housing market. We didn't make it so, we're just trying to survive it.
    I know I flip out about boomers, it just winds me up so bad the state of our housing market. And very very very few folk of your age/generation are even aware of the issue (let alone how to solve it) is very frustrating (let them eat cake). So I thank you, genuinely, for your awareness, and empathy.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    You still had free education, a windfall of national assets (oil, gold, gas, coal), and cheap houses. Oh and **** loads of boomers have final salary, redundancy early retirement pay outs etc.

In dogged pursuit of your idée fixe, you bundle so many different erroneous ideas together, that it is hard to know where to start.

The country (but not the Boomers personally) did have a windfall of oil and gas. Essentially the government of the day blew it by selling it to foreign interests for cash which they then used to cut higher rate taxes and keep strutting the world stage as a "Great Power". At that time Boomers were not high earners yet so they did not benefit from the tax cuts.

Windfall coal? No, that was the 19th century you're thinking of there. Windfall gold? No really, can you explain that one? If you are referring to Gordon Brown's selling of half the country's gold reserves, please explain how that amounted to a windfall for the Boomers?

Redundancy and early retirement? That's the generation before the Boomers who gained from that phase. Please distinguish between generations more carefully: just being older than you <> Boomer.

Final salary pensions? I repeat, that's public sector. Not Boomers in general.

Free education? I'm for it. Actually in Scotland we still have it. In England you don't because it was in effect exchanged for tax cuts by the votes of Thatcher's Children - and that is not the Boomers. Incidentally the end of free education didn't save me any money, it cost me, because we were in England at the time and I felt that I had to support my 2 children through the 3 degrees they did between them: "free" education paid from taxes would have cost me less!

House prices? I agree with you completely about how toxic the UK housing market has become. I spent 1990-2015 outside the UK so I have seen elsewhere in Europe how it need not be so, and how in a decent rental market one does not need to buy a house. But the rental market in the UK is even more toxic than the buying market. When I came back to the UK, I eventually bought a house in 2007 even though I didn't want to, because I just couldn't stand the indignities of the rental market any more.

But don't blame the Boomers for the housing market. We didn't make it so, we're just trying to survive it.
    Last edited by expat; 9 March 2016, 03:09.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Quite road, close to good schools.

Not on an estate.

Driveway.

3 bed but ideally 4.

Enough room but options to increase footprint so;

Front garden, back secure garden big enough to kick a ball and enjoy a BBQ.

Something like this; 4 bedroom detached house for sale in Priory Street, Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13 0BA, SN13

Not exactly fancy pantsy, and near half a mil...
    Blimey you don't get much in Wiltshire for half a million quid. I have a bigger place a nice estate in Berks or the same amount.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X