• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Help re acccom and salary in London"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    In the last one year, how many times did your train from Leeds to London get delayed?
    According to National Rail, Virgin Trains East Coast have a 82.1% public performance measure. This means 82.1% of their long distance trains arrived within 10 minutes.

I frequently use a train service with a higher PPM which is on time about 20% of the time. Another 20% the service is absolutely dreadful where they skip stops. However as long as the train arrives at the terminals on time they are on time.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Madrid to LCY 2h10m. £48 FPo
    Leeds to KGX 2h13m £112 Anytime Single.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Except there are always train delays due to the "wrong" rain, leaves on the track, bring too hot, the "wrong" kind of sun, trespassers (or bloody idiots according to train guards ) on the line....
    In the last one year, how many times did your train from Leeds to London get delayed?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Except there are always train delays due to the "wrong" rain, leaves on the track, bring too hot, the "wrong" kind of sun, trespassers (or bloody idiots according to train guards ) on the line....
    And "London" typically means one of the outer hubs like Paddington, Kings Cross or Victoria, so you need to add on another 20 minutes to get to your final destination. Hence why Crossrail will be such a boon: it'll go right into the center of London.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Leeds to London - 1 hr 45 mins on Virgin train.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

For me, I worked in London for several years but my commute was almost 90 minutes each way, which eventually felt too much and knackered me out. We're looking to move home at some point this year or next and one of the requirements is to be on a fast train link to London.
    Leeds to London - 1 hr 45 mins on Virgin train.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
    Random ramble.

When I moved to London in 2001 from Birmingham (single and mid-20s) it was a no-brainer as neither Birmingham or Manchester could compete with it on many levels.

My starting salary was £37k back then and it was not enough.

15 years on and I would seriously consider not moving to London at all unless it was a career changing move.

I still live in the outer suburbs of London but having spent the past 7 months in Manchester working on a contract I can't see London's appeal at the moment. Even compared to 2001 it is even more vastly overcrowded and Brum, Manc can offer 95% of what London gives you.

The one thing London still holds is a much higher proportion of £150k+ jobs.

People smirk at rebalancing away from London but I think it has been progressing steadily since 2011 and I can't see it slowing down.
    When you have a family then central London is not the not the place to be, it's not where I would want to bring up my children anyway. You can still have that £100k job in the City and commute in from the suburbs: the trains from the west of London (further out than Hayes/Slough) can get you in within 30 - 45 minutes, and when Crossrail is completed then those journey times will be down to 20 to 30 minutes.

For me, I worked in London for several years but my commute was almost 90 minutes each way, which eventually felt too much and knackered me out. We're looking to move home at some point this year or next and one of the requirements is to be on a fast train link to London.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Eastern Europe has loads of cheap resource!
    I agree

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I can see offshoring going the full circle and London firms doing what American ones do and using cheaper resource elsewhere in the same country. While it's more expensive than another country, you get all the benefits of a single country of operation - timezone, working hours, language, legal, no multinational faffing around, etc.
    why when you have the whole of the EU to abuse?

Eastern Europe has loads of cheap resource!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
    Random ramble.

When I moved to London in 2001 from Birmingham (single and mid-20s) it was a no-brainer as neither Birmingham or Manchester could compete with it on many levels.

15 years on and I would seriously consider not moving to London at all unless it was a career changing move.

I still live in the outer suburbs of London but having spent the past 7 months in Manchester working on a contract I can't see London's appeal at the moment. Even compared to 2001 it is even more vastly overcrowded and Brum, Manc can offer 95% of what London gives you.

People smirk at rebalancing away from London but I think it has been progressing steadily since 2011 and I can't see it slowing down.
    I can see offshoring going the full circle and London firms doing what American ones do and using cheaper resource elsewhere in the same country. While it's more expensive than another country, you get all the benefits of a single country of operation - timezone, working hours, language, legal, no multinational faffing around, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    Random ramble.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Commuted in from Brookmans park when I lived in that area. 28 mins to Liverpool St on a slow day.

Potter bar up the road was very reasonable in house purchase terms, and 20 mins on the fast to Liverpool St.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    I cycle on the roads and I don't live in a gated community.
    Cycle safe.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I always knew there was something wrong with you!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Cycling round your gated community doesn't count.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X