• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Buy to let DOOM

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buy to let DOOM"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I agree,
    I just stopped there. Don't want to know.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I agree, ROI is not what it used to be. Better to sniff out something else.

I recommend anyone with debt pay it down now.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Just in the process of selling our place. Nothing to do with the change in policy, however.

So if all this property comes on the market we'll have ourselves weak demand and supply swells, rental prices collapse a little, profits fall, rates go up.

Yes, it's doom.
    No doom while interest rates are so low - and I reckon they will stay low for years yet - so there will not be a house price collapse, though I expect it will moderate and (I hope) cool off a bit.

House price rises like the past 3 or 4 years don't help anyone, except big investors who are cashing out. As an investor I no longer find decent ROI, even though property is the only area in which you can still get yields of any sort. As a home owner I cannot afford to move up the ladder because the next leg up is out of reach and the stamp duty is a killer on it.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Was around at the wife's Aunties property at the weekend that has just finished being refurbed - looks good and while we were there the next door neighbours visited - they are an Eastern European family renting, and their landlord is selling up, so were enquiring if the maisonette was being sold or being rented as they would like to stay in the area
    The owners of the maisonette above the Aunties (who had just sold theirs for a crazy amount of money) said they were a lovely family and kept the property spotless - so she told the EE's to go through the agent and it looks like a done deal

Annoyingly this is contrary to my belief that we should exit the EU which would mean no more EU migrants to fill our properties - quite a dilemma
    What?! That's like a contractor finding their own gig and then calling up a random agent to give them a cut. Estate agents will do next to nothing for their 10% fee.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Was around at the wife's Aunties property at the weekend
    I just stopped there. Don't want to know.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Just in the process of selling our place. Nothing to do with the change in policy, however.

So if all this property comes on the market we'll have ourselves weak demand and supply swells, rental prices collapse a little, profits fall, rates go up.

Yes, it's doom.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Was around at the wife's Aunties property at the weekend that has just finished being refurbed - looks good and while we were there the next door neighbours visited - they are an Eastern European family renting, and their landlord is selling up, so were enquiring if the maisonette was being sold or being rented as they would like to stay in the area
    The owners of the maisonette above the Aunties (who had just sold theirs for a crazy amount of money) said they were a lovely family and kept the property spotless - so she told the EE's to go through the agent and it looks like a done deal

Annoyingly this is contrary to my belief that we should exit the EU which would mean no more EU migrants to fill our properties - quite a dilemma

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The pension pots have just been made available. To try to pump money into a f**ked economy.

Alas some boomers, unhappy with only 10 BTLs (and hence only f**king over 10 young people) are so greedy they want more more more.

Can't we just shoot anyone with a second property?
    +1

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Blimey.. If the Doom gets any worse I'm not going to be able to afford to subscribe to read about more doom!!!
    I was feeling quite upbeat before I read that, now I feel beside myself with doom. It's all completely futile. The doom has gone to 11.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    More doom.
    Blimey.. If the Doom gets any worse I'm not going to be able to afford to subscribe to read about more doom!!!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    More doom.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    I don't want to evict the tenant, who hasn't caused me any hassle this past year.
    Amateur.

I'd evict the tenant and sell to the young guy...

... then gazunder him by at least £20k just before exchange of contracts takes place.

HTH

MarillionFan

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I really do have empathy for the first guy though; he's lost out on a number of properties because he keeps getting outbid.
    Is he a substantial chap who is never far from a pie?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    But not enough empathy to sell to him, eh?
    I was going to until the other offer came in

But seriously, more than the money it's the hassle I'll save by selling to the investor... I don't want to evict the tenant, who hasn't caused me any hassle this past year.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I really do have empathy for the first guy though; he's lost out on a number of properties because he keeps getting outbid.
    But not enough empathy to sell to him, eh?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X