• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I stay or should I go (to America) ?"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    DECISION MADE.

After another long conversation with GFP, I've decided to stay in the UK.

A sincere thank-you to you all for your thoughts, which really have helped.

The world (of IT) is definitely not my lobster, let's hope that things work out on the personal front.

At least I'll remain a contractor, albeit most likely a soon-to-be-unemployed one.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    In the US you get 2 weeks holiday a year
    And basically no sick pay (not sure of the details).

It's almost like being a contractor

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Texas is a great place, to go on holiday.

In the US you get 2 weeks holiday a year,

No way would I move to the US, my 1 week working in California made it clear to me, it's a gr8 place to visit. You will spend most of your time in the USA boxed in a cubicle, and the rest of what little time you have left trying to sort out every day chores. If you are lucky enough to be in a sky scraper at least you can look out the window from time to time.

US.....big NO.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Biggest danger is client-co sound like hard nosed s.

You dump GF, move to USA, they dump you there (easy with US employment laws) and you're left with nothing.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    you're a keeper

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    2a for definite. Texas seems like a dream to me. Gas Monkey BBQ & Grill, V8 Trucks and Steak. Air-conditioning beats the heat!

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Are you not getting enough?
    Why are you asking?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I read that as 'penis', which was confusing.
    Are you not getting enough?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I'd do it for the experience (or, rather, have done). I lived in the north east US for several years, and I'd say it's a great opportunity. There are nice parts of TX too. For example, DFW is quite nice (great music scene), and the TX hill country is great. There's nothing quite like a road trip in the US (and you could almost spend your life doing them). Might be something of a culture shock, though, if you're not a regular visitor already, and you'd need to get used to the climate there.

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    Wherever you go you'll take your problems in their various forms with you. But hey.

Dallas in Feb was far too hot for me. The bugs terrified me.

Though I did find the Dallas women generally fabulous (not that I partook).

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    spends his time alternating between rearranging his pens into neat rows on his desk
    I read that as 'penis', which was confusing.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If GFP isn't prepared to wait or go long distance, sadly she isn't the one. IMHO.

If you are thinking seriously of straying - ditto.

picturing & putting it in the fantasy bank is allowed.
    ^This, in regards to choosing based on feelings. If GFP really cares about you beyond the physical relationship she will understand that going to US is not only the best thing for your career but probably the only thing. If you both want the relationship to develop further the best choice would be to give the US a go while maintaining a long distance relationship for a couple of months. If you don't like it - terminate the contract and come back to UK, if you do like it, get GFP over to US for a week show her around and see how she feels. If she doesn't like it then you will have to make the hard choice but at least armed with more information about the work/live side of things. This will allow you to separate the decision to move/don't move to US and dump/not dump GFP.

OTOH if GFP is not willing to wait for 3 months so you can test the waters in US, this should be enough of a confirmation how serious is she about your relation.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I've also read that almost all of Texas is privately owned land. If you accidently trespass, it is the owners legal right to shoot and kill you. So don't think of wandering around in the countryside.
    I'd have thought that would be something you'd approve of.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'm 98% sure ClientCo will terminate my contract if I decline the job. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
    I'm inclined to think that could end up being a blessing in disguise.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Not been there but many colleagues visited Dallas back when I worked for Texas Instruments. They reported climate less than ideal. *Extremely hot*. Also Houston also extremely humid. In winter they have "ice storms" that can deposit an inch of ice on your car.
    Yes my understanding is it can be very very hot, or very cold with ice storms, mostly very dry, lots of tornados to keep you on your toes.

Not what you would call a perfect climate by any stretch.

I've also read that almost all of Texas is privately owned land. If you accidently trespass, it is the owners legal right to shoot and kill you. So don't think of wandering around in the countryside.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X