• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Retro Toys - Toys you had as a kid"

Collapse

• RSoles
    replied
    Computacar
    programmed by the card in the slot underneath. Still got one (which I bought from Metropolis in Warwick ( ok, plug)).

Turning circle about twice the size of the average living room........

Leave a comment:

• OnceStonedRose
    replied

Wow

**Note to self... read thread prior to posting...
    Last edited by OnceStonedRose; 14 September 2015, 14:56.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I could never work out how to buy a pair - they always wanted paying in $!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Ray_Specs_(novelty)
    'My mate' was so keen (at about 9 years old) that he got his mum to get $ from the bank from his birthday money and send the little tiny order form and wait about three months for them to arrive !!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    'My mate' bought a pair. They don't work. They just make everything blurred
    I could never work out how to buy a pair - they always wanted paying in $!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Ray_Specs_(novelty)
    Last edited by mudskipper; 14 September 2015, 13:49.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I always wanted those! Still do, mind.
    'My mate' bought a pair. They don't work. They just make everything blurred

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Did you never have 'x Ray Spex' which allowed you to 'see through clothing', usually sold mail order in American comics and bazooka joe bubblegum packets ?
    I always wanted those! Still do, mind.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Action man with parachute but without eagle eyes poor Yorkshire folk and all that.

Also a board game called 'Sorry' that used to come out everytime we went to see the grandparents. Didn't like to play with Gran though as we thought she was cheating saying Sorry out of turn. It wasn't until we were older my mum said that's cause she'd wet herself and was nothing to do with the game.
    We still play Sorry with our kids, superb game!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    That is a replica of the rifles we were issued with when I was in the army. Better than the plastic SA80s that they have nowadays anyway.
    Yup. Brit version of the FN FAL known as the L1A1 SLR. Standard issue until 1984.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    I remember dropping my Slime on the gravel drive!

Is that a euphemism??

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Big Trak would have counted until it was re-released last year.

Anyone else experience the horrors of things like:
    The octopus falling off the window part way through its descent and landing in fluff/carpet/dirt?
    The polystyrene plane catching a gust of wind and disappearing forever?

These were serious 1980s first world problems.
    I remember dropping my Slime on the gravel drive!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    My brothers and I had one of these each.

The fact that the "bullets" wouldn't go more than about 10 feet at most meant we usually resorted to shouting BANG at each other.
    That is a replica of the rifles we were issued with when I was in the army. Better than the plastic SA80s that they have nowadays anyway.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Big Trak would have counted until it was re-released last year.

Anyone else experience the horrors of things like:
    The octopus falling off the window part way through its descent and landing in fluff/carpet/dirt?
    The polystyrene plane catching a gust of wind and disappearing forever?

These were serious 1980s first world problems.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I had one of these bad boys when I was about 7 or 8!!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Had one of these when I was about eight, but the end of the barrel snapped off during a particularly frenetic battle. Then an uncle, who had no idea that I'd previously had one, gave me another a Christmas or two later

My brothers and I had one of these each.

The fact that the "bullets" wouldn't go more than about 10 feet at most meant we usually resorted to shouting BANG at each other.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Had one of these when I was about eight, but the end of the barrel snapped off during a particularly frenetic battle. Then an uncle, who had no idea that I'd previously had one, gave me another a Christmas or two later

And I've still got the rare Corgi Yellow Submarine with yellow and white hatches, like the one in the box in this photo, with the more common red-hatched variant in front:

though mine is very far from mint condition, and the box would have been chucked out on the birthday that I received it, probably in 1968

More on the original Corgi Yellow Submarine and its many later variants: Corgi Toys Yellow Submarine... - Themed Collections

Leave a comment:

Working...
X