• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Perm - Hmmm How much tax?????"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I don't really think that's too mercenary - two years is fairly normal. Anyone with half a clue will know that any contractor they take will always have a different view on being permie to others - namely that there's always a way out. If I wind up getting an offer and accepting I'll be putting my warchest to one side, keeping my "must pay" monthly outgoings as they are and treating permiedom as a safe boom
    Indeed. This job for life mantra is dead and buried. You might stay with a company awhile but you shouldn't assume you can do the same job for a long period of time anymore even if you wanted to stay permie for the rest of your life. That's why I believe I have more job security as a contractor than as a permie.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Good point lol.

Bit mercenary but I was thinking,hmmm if theres training on offer, do it for a year or two then bail back to contracting.
    I don't really think that's too mercenary - two years is fairly normal. Anyone with half a clue will know that any contractor they take will always have a different view on being permie to others - namely that there's always a way out. If I wind up getting an offer and accepting I'll be putting my warchest to one side, keeping my "must pay" monthly outgoings as they are and treating permiedom as a safe boom

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You are assuming it will be worth contracting in two years......
    he is getting in early while there are still some good permie jobs.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Good point lol.

Bit mercenary but I was thinking,hmmm if theres training on offer, do it for a year or two then bail back to contracting.
    You are assuming it will be worth contracting in two years......

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Don't forget all the extra sick days per year, when the weather turns sunny, or you can't be bothered to go in because of a hangover
    Good point lol.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Don't forget all the extra sick days per year, when the weather turns sunny, or you can't be bothered to go in because of a hangover

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Or even if you live in one with an extradition treaty. They can extradite you and put you in prison - but they can't get at the money.
    What they can do is promise your cell mate Bubba early release if he plays the ball...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    However PermieCo. are giving me the opurtunity of career advancement by making me redundant.
    Congratulations! Free at last!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I've never received any training as a permie.

However PermieCo. are giving me the opurtunity of career advancement by making me redundant.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Training and opportunity for career advancement......
    That's why i went contracting. Never received a single day's training in 8 years as a permie, at 3 different employers.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Will you be able to sign on during your paid holidays
    Now that would be good - or ESA or PIP maybe?

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Dear wife is back to work in another role for now. Not in the best health but shes not going to get better so we'll see how it goes.

Possibly another reason why a local job would be better for me. At the moment, Im miles away with no WFH ever. Hassle with childcare at times it will be.
    Get a local permie job, for the security,

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    It is if you live in a country with no extradition treaty to the UK.
    Or even if you live in one with an extradition treaty. They can extradite you and put you in prison - but they can't get at the money.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Will you be able to sign on during your paid holidays

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    + it sounds like less travel time, cheaper commute, less time away from home
    This is why I'm considering it - I still love contracting, but the salary they're looking at isn't a million miles way from 10 months work and it'll hopefully mean a lot more time at home. Given that my August work fell through last week and I've already got a couple of weeks scrubbed out for proper holidays the thought of sitting back and having the money fall into my bank account each and every month is kind of appealing. Yes I could earn more on a good year and I could absolutely sweep up if I got a decent rate close to home, but the reality is that most of work means travel and hotels.

Remember, as well, PS that the £3500 is post all tax. Once I took into account the reality of my utilisation time and then hitting the upper tax bracket it actually looked a lot closer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X