• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Will a robot take your job?"

Collapse

• Avalonia
    replied
    For the love of God take my job you little tin b@stard

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I've seen them used in a number of places. Where they're sold as "you don't need developers anymore", they fail, because you still need to understand how to program to use the tool effectively. Where they're sold as tools to speed up developments, then they're rather more useful. A decent IDE is essentially a CASE tool.
    Yeah, I remember RPG as the language that would eliminate programmers. I made quite a good living out of it in the 70s and 80s.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    They were teaching the use of CASE tools when I was at Uni, I've never actually seen them used in anger since.
    I've seen them used in a number of places. Where they're sold as "you don't need developers anymore", they fail, because you still need to understand how to program to use the tool effectively. Where they're sold as tools to speed up developments, then they're rather more useful. A decent IDE is essentially a CASE tool.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Analysis can't be automated, code monkey work that has already been offshored is rather easier to automate
    Indeed. There's actually quite a few IT/software jobs in there that have a low susceptibility to it, which make active use of coding skills, so I guess it's just a matter of how diverse your overall skillset is/can be.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    Just realised that study was contained in the main article. It's been going around for quite some time now. Deloitte also did a piece on this. Funnily enough, in terms of the referenced Oxford study, computer systems analysts rank very low with regard to susceptibility to automation.
    Analysis can't be automated, code monkey work that has already been offshored is rather easier to automate

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Just realised that study was contained in the main article. It's been going around for quite some time now. Deloitte also did a piece on this. Funnily enough, in terms of the referenced Oxford study, computer systems analysts rank very low with regard to susceptibility to automation.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 4 June 2015, 19:07.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Will a robot take your job?
    Too late....

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    For tape monkeys it already has, we had one of these to replace ours:

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    <Yorkshire>
    When I say Specification, it was really just a set of vague promises made by the Sales team.
    </Yorkshire>
    Ah yes, there'll always be a job for us while there's salesmen's commission.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Specification?

Luxury!
    <Yorkshire>
    When I say Specification, it was really just a set of vague promises made by the Sales team.
    </Yorkshire>

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    When computers can produce working, useful programs from a specification written on the back of a fag packet with a marker pen... then I'll worry.
    Specification?

Luxury!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    They were teaching the use of CASE tools when I was at Uni, I've never actually seen them used in anger since.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    When computers can produce working, useful programs from a specification written on the back of a fag packet with a marker pen... then I'll worry.
    It may and eventually will do the bits you used to off shore but you will still need to take the fag packet and convert it into a specification others can develop from...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Well it apears maybe

Some of the coders on current RIP project could be replace by randomise()

siliconrepublic. will-a-robot-take-your-job-find-out-here
    Oh no the Suitybot!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X