• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: What car?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What car?"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    I'm looking for a commuting mota for around 1500, this would fit the bill
    4 wheel drive too. Don't be dull and buy some Toyota Avensis or some other souless reliable crap.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Yeah but not so hard to fix. I had a couple of citroens as work cars both cheap as chips to buy and nothing major went wrong with them. Really comfortable with the gas suspension.
    One had abs sensor fault which was 30 quid to fix the other had nothing in 30000 miles. Contrast that with a vauxhall we had where repair bills totalled 2k in as many miles
    I used to have Renaults and Citroens back when I was a poor permie, mostly due to them being cheap and having a nice range of gadgets.

Electronics were always the first thing to die (and did always die, in every car). I've been put off them for life now.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    It's French with additional electrics.
    Yeah but not so hard to fix. I had a couple of citroens as work cars both cheap as chips to buy and nothing major went wrong with them. Really comfortable with the gas suspension.
    One had abs sensor fault which was 30 quid to fix the other had nothing in 30000 miles. Contrast that with a vauxhall we had where repair bills totalled 2k in as many miles

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Obviously not but they weren't VAG back in those days. Currious to see now see if there is one on ebay

To OP how about this?

http://ebay.co.uk/itm/321752549991?nav=SEARCH
    It's French with additional electrics.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Get something with soul - trust me - you will be bored rigid in a focus/pashat

Jaguar X-Type 3.0 V6 Sport 4dr
    I'm looking for a commuting mota for around 1500, this would fit the bill

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Are there many Rapides or Estelles still around?
    Obviously not but they weren't VAG back in those days. Currious to see now see if there is one on ebay

To OP how about this?

http://ebay.co.uk/itm/321752549991?nav=SEARCH
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 5 June 2015, 17:22.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Get something with soul - trust me - you will be bored rigid in a focus/pashat

Jaguar X-Type 3.0 V6 Sport 4dr

Leave a comment:

• Ramrod
    replied
    Thanks for all of your replies and wisdom.

I'm off to see a focus1.8TDCi tonight and a 1.9d Passat tomorrow, as well as anything else that takes my fancy over the weekend. At this stage, the focus is the favourite as it has lower mileage and good service history.

Incidentally I went to the client site yesterday, travel time was 1.5hours each way, which is very easily do-able for me, I might manage the occasional stopover, but will almost always be there and back in a day and don't find that prospect too daunting at all (at this stage).

Thanks again for your input, I'll give you a wave if I ever see you on the M6 - hopefully it won't be from the hard shoulder

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by GlenW View Post
    But don't be total douche bag who keeps driving it when there is a warning light on and the temperature gauge has gone off the scale.
    Worked as permie years ago we all had nice company cars. Colleague hammered his bmw up the m4 - oil light came home. He was late for flight out of heathrow so thought sod it and kept hammering it. 30 mins late (surprised it lasted that long) he was on the hard shoulder.

Engine seized completely. New engine needed. There was talk of company making him shell out for it but think he got off in the end.....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Rental for a half decent car is around £30-£50 a day (depending on the number of days) or £180 a week, unlimited milage with Enterprise. If you want the excess damage waiver that costs another £15 per day.

For £1500 you'll get 2-3 months worth of rentals depending on how you work it.
    insurance4carhire - £100 a year.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If cashflow isn't an issue - it's easier to live off less if you're rich sometimes - why not buy a better car, 4-5 years old perhaps, and then sell it afterwards?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    How much hire car would you get for £1500?
    Rental for a half decent car is around £30-£50 a day (depending on the number of days) or £180 a week, unlimited milage with Enterprise. If you want the excess damage waiver that costs another £15 per day.

For £1500 you'll get 2-3 months worth of rentals depending on how you work it.

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    But don't be total douche bag who keeps driving it when there is a warning light on and the temperature gauge has gone off the scale.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    yeah get a Vauxhall

Enterprise Rent-a-Car bills teacher £3,700 after rental Vauxhall Corsa conked out | Daily Mail Online

Car hire firm bills teacher £3,700 after four-month-old rental Vauxhall Corsa conked out – because he ‘ignored warning light for 15 minutes’
    Fred Coker had to pull over on M25 when his rental car stopped working
    Enterprise rental firm said he had carried on driving with warning light on
    Company sent him huge bill claiming Vauxhall Corsa needs a new engine
    But he claims he did not see warning light and believes he is the one who should be compensated

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    How much hire car would you get for £1500?
    Not much based on the mileage he needs to do....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X