• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Move to Cornwall?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Move to Cornwall?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    South-west Cornwall - towards Penzance or further - is a long way from the rest of the world, you do end up feeling cut off. The roads are slow, there are no air links unless you drive up to Newquay (which takes quite a while), and Plymouth is 2 hours by train IIRC, Exeter 2.5.
    When you travel to Cornwall you get to the border and think "nearly home" but in fact have 2 hours left... and in holiday season it's awful.

It's a shame since Cornwall is so beautiful.

The sleeper is probably the one option that works, but only if where you need to go is London or en route. Going west works best, the east-going train arrives at 5.30am or something awful.
    If you live close to Penzance, it could be an option worth seriously considering, if you can sleep on a train.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Shut in 2011 after the withdrawal of the London route according to this.

I see Air Southwest have folded too. They were the ones (I think) that used to be Brymon. They used to run the Gatwick - Newquay service. Don't know if anyone else runs that route now.
    Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 12 April 2015, 15:12.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    No you can't. Plymouth Airport is now shut.

HTH
    You're kidding? I was flying out to Guernsey from there on a regular basis a few years back.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    I think you can still fly into Plymouth on whatever Brymon has now become..
    No you can't. Plymouth Airport is now shut.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Don't know how well Newquay Airport is served these days, ISTR they scaled back the Gatwick service.

I think you can still fly into Plymouth on whatever Brymon has now become..

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    For me at least the quality of life gained by living somewhere remote (lakes in my case) would be more than offset by that lost in the travelling for endless hours. Unless I could work remotely the majority of the time of course.

I'd end up only going home every other weekend like when I worked in Gosport and had a 560 mile round trip so pre retirement it's pointless.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Anyone here living in Cornwall and successfully contracting? My line of work (Architecture) I do need to be onsite quite a bit and so if I did move down there I would expect to be working 'upcountry' for most of the week. House prices don't look to bad either.

I notice the sleeper from Penzance to London is a regular service, and so that seems like a reasonable option.

We are toying with the idea of moving, and Cornwall is a possible destination.
    My folks live near Falmouth. Mylor Bridge. Lovely place, nice locals & great sense of community etc.

A nice place to retire, in other words.

Complete nightmare in the summer. Some places get completely gridlocked & you can't even get close. Taking them out to a pub for a meal is a also an ordeal as everywhere gets so rammed.

That said, it's only for a couple of months of the year. A30 has been vastly imporved and there's only the one bottleneck where it narrows to one lane over Bodmin Moor.

Anyhow, Frome seems to be where the in crowd are moving these days

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    because if you think about it driving to, say, Tavistock or Cornwall would take at least another hour and a half each way. It's like commuting from London to Pembroke - Even when you reach Cardiff, you still have an immense distance to go!
    It would be more like 2 and a half to 3 hours on top to Penzance not 1 and a half . That's from experience as we regularly visit the Lizard (and have friends that do the reverse leg).

I don't think I've ever got to the far side of Exeter in less than 2 and a bit hours and I've never done it in the 2 hours Google claims is possible.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Owlhoot has moved to Devon and seems to be enjoying the life .

I'm sure he'll let you know how it's going.
    Yup, I looked at several houses last year, including a couple near Tavistock and the Cornish border. But in the end I went for a large (6000 sq feet plus) turnip with outbuildings and a separate cottage about 10 miles from Tiverton, which I was lucky to get for the price I paid as there is nothing in Devon anywhere near the same size on Zoopla now for much less than double the price!

My weekly commute to Cambridge takes under four hours on a good day (sunday night) and rarely much more on friday evening, surprisingly (via A1, M25, M4, M5). Given that I have a long commute, I'm also pleased with the location near the M5 (J27), because if you think about it driving to, say, Tavistock or Cornwall would take at least another hour and a half each way. It's like commuting from London to Pembroke - Even when you reach Cardiff, you still have an immense distance to go!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

...once the pigeon post is up and running again.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Train takes 7 hours!

You might as well relocate to Spain, a massive villa for £300K and a quicker, cheaper commute to london.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    started a topic Move to Cornwall?

Move to Cornwall?

Anyone here living in Cornwall and successfully contracting? My line of work (Architecture) I do need to be onsite quite a bit and so if I did move down there I would expect to be working 'upcountry' for most of the week. House prices don't look to bad either.

I notice the sleeper from Penzance to London is a regular service, and so that seems like a reasonable option.

We are toying with the idea of moving, and Cornwall is a possible destination.

Working...
X