• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Did you hear the one about the irish businessman who accepted a toy eur 100 note?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    I thought Euros were monoply money anyway
    Maybe but it's much cheaper monopoly money than it was a few months ago!

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    I thought Euros were monoply money anyway

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    €100 isn't worth much more than a sandwich these days

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Good idea. Got several charity shops in town, mostly staffed by short sighted old ladies. Sure I could get a used jacket for one of my Monopoly notes.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    I think plod needs an understanding of how business works (although in the case of this business he might have a point). They could only be 100 euro down if the sandwich was sold for nothing and they also changed the ELC note for real money.
    indeed they charge €100 for a sandwich they would probably give change. So if the sandwich was €4 then they gave €96 change and lost the cost and profit of the sandwich.

so plod of course is wrong they are at maximum €100 down. Scary that anyone would let them out.
    Last edited by vetran; 12 March 2015, 10:37. Reason: wrong word

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Clearly no checks were done on this note and that business is now 100 euro down plus the value of the goods it was used to 'pay' for!
    I think plod needs an understanding of how business works (although in the case of this business he might have a point). They could only be 100 euro down if the sandwich was sold for nothing and they also changed the ELC note for real money.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    When I was a cashier the petrol station didn't really care if you accepted duff notes. They just took it out of your pay.

Although I caused a scene once when I refused to accept a ten pound note which had been ripped and then taped back together. They guy and his girlfriend demanded to know why a different place accepted it and were perplexed when I said they probably had a different note checking policy and how could somewhere have accepted it if they still had it?

I hated that job.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    It is understood it was used to buy a sandwich in a fast food outlet.
    Must be a good sandwich.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Lots of the larger shops/chains have pictures of larger denomination notes at the tills for the cashier to see and often two people are needed to verify the note is genuine.

I know smaller shops in England have refused to accept Scottish notes and others refuse to accept £50 notes. So the business could have just refused to accept the note if in doubt.

Leave a comment:

• Did you hear the one about the irish businessman who accepted a toy eur 100 note?

BBC News - Kids' toy 100 euros note accepted by business in Newry

Working...
X