• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Do you do Lent?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you do Lent?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    If you ignore the bit about Jesus fasting for 40 days in the desert.
    The requirement for Christians to fast at that time is entirely a church invention. It's not something specifically commanded in scripture. Like Easter and Christmas, it's rooted in pagan practice.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I suspect it's an Anglican/Catholic thing rather than a specifically God thing.
    If you ignore the bit about Jesus fasting for 40 days in the desert.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    I've given up declaring dividends until April if it helps?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    I don't do god, unless it involves eating chocolate or getting drunk under the pretence of having a holiday
    I suspect it's an Anglican/Catholic thing rather than a specifically God thing.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post

see you all in april 2016.

God bless.
    Riiiiggggghhhttttttt.....

See you in May 2015 then (or the next time someone says something supportive of Alex Salmond, whichever comes sooner....)

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

see you all in april 2016.

God bless.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    21 minutes to training starts.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I used to blame the Christians for 'calendar hogging'
    Christmas , easter, lent, harvest festival, etc.

Now I realise it's not their fault. It's human nature
    Nowadays we have valentines day, mothers day, my left bollocks day, be nice to people with one arm day, uncles day, women with one breast larger than the other day

I blame mumsnet

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    5 cans to go.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I going to mis alcohol

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    8 beers down and quiet a few vodkas.

2 and a half hours to go.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    I don't do god, unless it involves eating chocolate or getting drunk under the pretence of having a holiday
    So that's Easter and St Patricks day covered

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Yes.

I'm giving up this ridiculous teetotal health binge that I've been on since January 1.

May even do it for more than 40 days

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Gave up sweets/biscuits/cakes/sugar last Lent. As it happens, never started them again.

Incidentally, needs to be a vote for "sometimes".

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X