• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Remember the fare dodging banker in London?"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Slightly off topic but..

Was reading something that the FCA is finding it very hard to keep staff as they are being poached by the big financials, seems good, if you can't beat them, buy them!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    The City watchdog said he "demonstrated a lack of honesty and integrity".
    Well that's because he works in finance and that is seen as a strength!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Was it not reported that he settled with the train company if they didnt take any further action on him and drop the whole affair ?
    Hmm. It seems the onus would be on them to prove he had travelled without tickets then, not for him to prove otherwise?

Perhaps he figured anything on his record would screw his chances of getting back into work, and just paying up would mean he could get on with life. I'm sure loads of companies would still hire him, even with a "bad luck for getting caught" attitude!

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    As I read it he had a season ticket up until 2008 but didn't renew. The fact that he then used his oystercard everyday proved a journey was made. I'm guessing he figured coming clean and coughing up a trivial amount to a hedge fund manager was infinitely better than than a perjury charge and the following repercussions.

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The great unwashed don't understand libor fiddling. They do understand fare dodging.
    The ban was handed down by the FCA. So you would hope they do know about LIBOR fiddling.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    So why £42K he had to pay up?

Surely he didnt say, its a fair cop and admit he'd been doing it for years? Surely, he should just have said, I did it today or just this week after all..... Not saying its right but £42K!

And how'd he avoid the ticket collector on the train? they're red hot on the train I catch. Go for a crap and they wait outside the door!
    I remember this story at the time and they'd somehow proved that he'd lived and worked where he was for x no of years and that he'd sporadically bought tickets for that same journey on enough occasions to suggest that he'd always made that journey. They then retrospectively worked out that he should have paid £XX,000s but had only paid about £160 or something similarly paltry.

He then held his hands up and agreed an 'out of court' £42k settlement, thinking that would close the matter. I think the admission was central to the FCA punishment. Maybe if he'd not admitted it, even if a court handed down a larger fine, he might have been alright. I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Maybe using his Oyster as described demonstrated he'd not got a ticket each time? Or maybe he was asked to prove he'd bought tickets - receipts or card statements - and couldn't. Seems a bit odd. Maybe he thought by paying up he'd keep his job but then lost out twice, or maybe his employer told him he'd get his bonus/benefits provided he helped them save face.

Maybe they have perves working on your train.

Was it not reported that he settled with the train company if they didnt take any further action on him and drop the whole affair ?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Surely he didnt say, its a fair cop and admit he'd been doing it for years? Surely, he should just have said, I did it today or just this week after all..... Not saying its right but £42K!
    Maybe using his Oyster as described demonstrated he'd not got a ticket each time? Or maybe he was asked to prove he'd bought tickets - receipts or card statements - and couldn't. Seems a bit odd. Maybe he thought by paying up he'd keep his job but then lost out twice, or maybe his employer told him he'd get his bonus/benefits provided he helped them save face.

And how'd he avoid the ticket collector on the train? they're red hot on the train I catch. Go for a crap and they wait outside the door!
    Maybe they have perves working on your train.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The great unwashed don't understand libor fiddling. They do understand fare dodging.
    that is my worry

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    he sort of had a point.

hiss penny ante thieving is almost embarrassing compared to Libor etc fiddling.

I wonder if the other scum will get as harsh treatment?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    he sort of had a point.

hiss penny ante thieving is almost embarrassing compared to Libor etc fiddling.

I wonder if the other scum will get as harsh treatment?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    And his statement suggests he still doesn't accept he's a thief

"I recognise that the FCA has on its plate more profound wrongdoing than mine in the financial services sector, and I am sorry that my case has taken up its time at this critical juncture for the future of the City and its reputation."

Self-serving, "poor little me" bulltulip

Fiddle £40k or fiddle £40m, it's still thieving.
    Zippy! Long time no see

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    And his statement suggests he still doesn't accept he's a thief

"I recognise that the FCA has on its plate more profound wrongdoing than mine in the financial services sector, and I am sorry that my case has taken up its time at this critical juncture for the future of the City and its reputation."

Self-serving, "poor little me" bullshit:

Fiddle £40k or fiddle £40m, it's still thieving.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Karma can be a bitch...
    Bet his wife will be bitching too when he gets home. That's his career in ruins

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Karma can be a bitch...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X