• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Smart Meters gas & leccie"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Nobody has mentioned the health effects and why I definitely won't have a "smart" meter:

Smart Meter Health Complaints | EMF Safety Network

List of symptoms:

Sleep problems (insomnia, difficulty falling asleep, night waking, nightmares)
    Stress, agitation, anxiety, irritability
    Headaches, sharp pain or pressure in the head
    Ringing in the ears, ear pain, high pitched ringing
    Concentration, memory or learning problems
    Fatigue, muscle or physical weakness
    Disorientation, dizziness, or balance problems
    Eye problems, including eye pain, pressure in the eyes,
    Cardiac symptoms, heart palpitations, heart arrhythmias, chest pain
    Leg cramps, or neuropathy
    Arthritis, body pain, sharp, stabbing pains
    Nausea, flu-like symptoms
    Sinus problems, nose bleeds
    Respiratory problems, cough, asthma
    Skin rashes, facial flushing
    Urinary problems
    Endocrine disorders, thyroid problems, diabetes
    High blood pressure
    Changes in menstrual cycle
    Hyperactivity or changes in children’s behavior
    Seizures
    Recurrence of cancer
    Taken from EMF Safety Network Survey 2011
    Symptoms after Exposure to Smart Meter Radiation By Dr. Ron Powell
    Everything in the home can cause health issues - haven't you read the Daily Mail?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I'll wait until they announce New Smart Meters, with lower weight, longer battery power, faster GPU etc etc

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Nobody has mentioned the health effects and why I definitely won't have a "smart" meter:

Smart Meter Health Complaints | EMF Safety Network

List of symptoms:

Sleep problems (insomnia, difficulty falling asleep, night waking, nightmares)
    Stress, agitation, anxiety, irritability
    Headaches, sharp pain or pressure in the head
    Ringing in the ears, ear pain, high pitched ringing
    Concentration, memory or learning problems
    Fatigue, muscle or physical weakness
    Disorientation, dizziness, or balance problems
    Eye problems, including eye pain, pressure in the eyes,
    Cardiac symptoms, heart palpitations, heart arrhythmias, chest pain
    Leg cramps, or neuropathy
    Arthritis, body pain, sharp, stabbing pains
    Nausea, flu-like symptoms
    Sinus problems, nose bleeds
    Respiratory problems, cough, asthma
    Skin rashes, facial flushing
    Urinary problems
    Endocrine disorders, thyroid problems, diabetes
    High blood pressure
    Changes in menstrual cycle
    Hyperactivity or changes in children’s behavior
    Seizures
    Recurrence of cancer
    Taken from EMF Safety Network Survey 2011
    Symptoms after Exposure to Smart Meter Radiation By Dr. Ron Powell

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    How much electricity is needed to make the coils and magnets and little wheels work and do we pay for it?
    Yes and for the comms hub and in-house display unit.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    My thoughts entirely.

Nothing wrong with a meter full of coils & magnets & little wheels & stuff.

It's when it's got silicon in it you want to worry.

And if the silicon is computery, then it's time to really worry.
    How much electricity is needed to make the coils and magnets and little wheels work and do we pay for it?

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    I've had several "we need to change you meter to a smart meter" type letters from our energy supplier - each one with a slightly stronger tone, and each suggesting that it was "necessary" because our meters were old.

I eventually rang them, told them fair enough they could update the meters but that I didn't want a smart one.

Chap on the other end of the phone said "ok, I'll take you off the list"

That was it, so nothing to do with the age of our meters, just a scam to try and get smart ones installed..

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Bump.

Has anything changed on this since last year? My supplier (OVO) sent an email saying do I want one. I'm naturally cynical so thought if a company wants me to do something, it's going to be in their interests not mine.

The FAQ doesn't give much info (apart from "Q: Can I still use it if I switch? A: Maybe[...]"

Not bothered about being cut off (I pay), security (it's 3G not Wifi innit?), more about them having 15 minute granularity on usage data for future day/night tarriffs, house value (not got a water meter for that reason as I've heard once one is fitted you can never have it removed?). etc.
    This depends on the actual meter you get installed. It was only discovered last year that the first standard woudn't stay smart if you changed supplier. The second standard SMETS2 came out, however due to various procurement strategies, you maybe with a supplier who has a lot of SMETS1 meters which they will install before using moving to the second type.

The business case for the public doesn't stack up, however it is important for the suppliers who want a Smart grid to stop wasting so much energy.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Of course crims would not think about leaving the lights and TV on when they go out...
    Or of checking 'leccy usage on houses they want to burgle. Among other things.

Smart Meter Hack Shuts Off The Lights

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Bah! The government will use them to spy on us. "You say you were at home when this crime was committed sir, but your smart meter shows no significant electricity usage although it was cold and dark"
    Of course crims would not think about leaving the lights and TV on when they go out...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    A valid point, but if they send you a massive unwarranted bill, it's time to wrap the device in tinfoil until it's sorted out.
    got a water meter at the last place, they configured the billing wrong so I apparently had an imperial meter (I didn't it was cubic Metrem installed in 2012) so they multiplied the readings by 4. It took me weeks to sort it out. They couldn't see why I shouldn't pay £2500 a year for water.

By the way a water meter will be fitted automatically when you move. Maybe they start doing this with Electric / gas? In the old place the meters were 30 + years old.

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    What would paying have to do with it ? A computer or operator error in a highly bobified industry and your leccy goes off.

Currently, an error (like a massive unwarranted bill ?) would leave you with time to sort it out.
    A valid point, but if they send you a massive unwarranted bill, it's time to wrap the device in tinfoil until it's sorted out.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Then it goes on to detail who they were. ...
    Yes, that completely spoiled my theory that having such an easy to remember and dial number, the deceased owners must have been chronically lazy and had all died of heart failure due to lack of exercise

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    A mobile phone company has suspended the number 0888 888 888 – after every single person assigned to it died in the last 10 years.
    Then it goes on to detail who they were. I fancy this isn't cause and effect, rather that people who had that number were the types more likely to get bumped off.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Bah! The government will use them to spy on us. "You say you were at home when this crime was committed sir, but your smart meter shows no significant electricity usage although it was cold and dark"

<xoggoth in usual paranoid mode>

PS Apparently they can track a mobile phone even if location is turned off. Can't find link now.

But did finds a more interesting link re phones

Mobile phone number suspended after three users die in 10 years - Telegraph

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Bump.

Has anything changed on this since last year? My supplier (OVO) sent an email saying do I want one. I'm naturally cynical so thought if a company wants me to do something, it's going to be in their interests not mine.

The FAQ doesn't give much info (apart from "Q: Can I still use it if I switch? A: Maybe[...]"

Not bothered about being cut off (I pay), security (it's 3G not Wifi innit?), more about them having 15 minute granularity on usage data for future day/night tarriffs, house value (not got a water meter for that reason as I've heard once one is fitted you can never have it removed?). etc.
    What would paying have to do with it ? A computer or operator error in a highly bobified industry and your leccy goes off.

Currently, an error (like a massive unwarranted bill ?) would leave you with time to sort it out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X