• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is this enough to halt the trend of pub closures?"

Collapse

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I'm told someone has spent £700K and counting to renovate a house as a large pub and (possibly?) hotel near Exmoor a couple of miles up the road from where I live, and it's several miles from the nearest town of even modest size.

Either she is incredibly optimistic or it's some planning dodge to upgrade and enlarge a house in ways that might otherwise not be possible as it may be in an area of stringent development restrictions.
    Maybe they moved there from The Crask Inn and decided that it would be positively bustling by comparison

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    They went with the smoking ban
    Nope still about, still a problem.

House of Commons - Health Committee - Minutes of Evidence

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    got it in one, keep em standing and drinking. No chairs and a big bar.
    They went with the smoking ban

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Basically the pub taught us how to drink responsibly.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I'm told someone has spent £700K and counting to renovate a house as a large pub and (possibly?) hotel near Exmoor a couple of miles up the road from where I live, and it's several miles from the nearest town of even modest size.

Either she is incredibly optimistic or it's some planning dodge to upgrade and enlarge a house in ways that might otherwise not be possible as it may be in an area of stringent development restrictions.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Have you been outside of dublin? Where my folks live in Mayo most of the pubs in the little village near them have closed. Also the costs in the supermarkets are extorionate. For their Christmas booze they drive up to the North. A litre of Grouse or similar was something like £15 compared to 32 euro in Tesco.
    I've seen that on our recent visits. If I was looking to retire in Ireland I would be heading to the either the Northern Ireland North Coast (Bushmill's \ Portrush) or towards Banbridge / Newry....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Sue is right. Children are brats. Except for my 3 little darlings that is.
    Children in my area tend to be brats if their parents are out with them.

If they are on their own (if old enough), with a nanny or a teacher they tend to be lovely.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    When I was in Dublin never saw a boarded up pub and my local was full every night

Then again, there were no mega supermarkets and hardly any newsagents flogging cheap tinnies...
    Have you been outside of dublin? Where my folks live in Mayo most of the pubs in the little village near them have closed. Also the costs in the supermarkets are extorionate. For their Christmas booze they drive up to the North. A litre of Grouse or similar was something like £15 compared to 32 euro in Tesco.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    In the town where I grew up there was mainly one wine bar where you could get served if you looked about 16 upwards. The police turned a blind eye, probably because if you were in there you weren't wondering around causing trouble, you were thrown out and risked being banned if you were too drunk or being stupid. It worked well until a new group of kids became old enough to go there, they were first class scum and hunted in a pack for people to beat up.

One evening a load of them jumped someone outside and were kicking him on the floor when the police turned up, the scum were so power mad they attacked the police. After that the police seemed to raid the place every week or so.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    one thing I have seen is that the youth of today do not seem to do lunchtime drinking

back in the day you would go for lunch have a pint (or 2 or 3) shoot some pool and then go back to work.

when we go out for lunch nowadays (which is rarely) no body drinks alcohol at all.
    I do see that in my peers but I'm aware us churchy folk are not the norm. Quite often see people out having a pint during the day and of course Wetherspoons always has people supping pints

Also though, we're in the city (such as Durham has) so if pubs can't survive here they have no chance. There are several pubs which have been converted to student flats in the last decade, however there's no shortage even then.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I can only guess it's somewhere people are discouraged from sitting around at tables wasting time and money not ordering drinks fast enough as they might be less likely to if they had to stand at the bar.
    got it in one, keep em standing and drinking. No chairs and a big bar.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    The Brewery wanted it to be a vertical drinking establishment luckily they got turned down. ...
    Is that where the clientele are discouraged from falling over dead drunk?

Seriously, what in God's name is a vertical drinking establishment?!

I can only guess it's somewhere people are discouraged from sitting around at tables wasting time and money not ordering drinks fast enough as they might be less likely to if they had to stand at the bar.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    It may be worth reading Hare & Hounds - Increasing prices to see how those chains work.
    the chains also have significant control over the style of the Pub and sometimes pick the wrong type of Pub.

The one on the end of the Road is now a decent Gastro Pub and very successful, it also makes a fortune selling beer & sandwiches to wedding guest for the church opposite.

The Brewery wanted it to be a vertical drinking establishment luckily they got turned down.

If you pick the wrong type you can easily go bankrupt.

Being fairly leafy round here we now have a lot of Gastro pubs/Restaurants with Bars.

I think the in town pubs need to convert to more family friendly during the day.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Hopefully they will introduce that for bankers soon.
    And the NHS doctors

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    You sound very bitter, Sue.

[pun sort of intended]
    Sue is right. Children are brats. Except for my 3 little darlings that is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X