• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this enough to halt the trend of pub closures?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this enough to halt the trend of pub closures?

2014-11-19 Pub shares slide after Commons vote

Shares in companies that own pubs have fallen sharply after MPs voted for an amendment allowing landlords to buy their beer on the open market ...
    Or are pubs still in terminal decline due to high alcohol taxes, cheap supermarket booze, drink driving laws, the smoking ban, saleable pub property values, shortage of disposable income, and the club culture young people prefer ?

Can't see much hope for most TBO.

edit: Oops, as other replies have reminded me, one can add to the above list patronising and officious age checks
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 19 November 2014, 13:11.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Pubs are empty but coffee houses are full.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

one thing I have seen is that the youth of today do not seem to do lunchtime drinking

back in the day you would go for lunch have a pint (or 2 or 3) shoot some pool and then go back to work.

when we go out for lunch nowadays (which is rarely) no body drinks alcohol at all.

in addition back in the day everyone was trying to get into pubs and get served when they were 16-17 and again you just do not see this usual Friday night drinking from the 18-21 year olds

maybe just where I live

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Or are pubs still in terminal decline due to high alcohol taxes, cheap supermarket booze, drink driving laws, the smoking ban, saleable pub property values, shortage of disposable income, and the club culture young people prefer ?

The only true patriot who can pull the pubs out of decline through drinking-his-arse-out is Nigel Farage.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          one thing I have seen is that the youth of today do not seem to do lunchtime drinking

back in the day you would go for lunch have a pint (or 2 or 3) shoot some pool and then go back to work.

when we go out for lunch nowadays (which is rarely) no body drinks alcohol at all.

in addition back in the day everyone was trying to get into pubs and get served when they were 16-17 and again you just do not see this usual Friday night drinking from the 18-21 year olds

maybe just where I live
          My current client co has random drug and alcohol tests on employees. Needless to say, contractors are exempt from that!

Comment

It may be worth reading Hare & Hounds - Increasing prices to see how those chains work.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Why dont they diversify into coffee shops and retail outlets?
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                My local has sort of "diversified" into a Curry house on Thursday, Chinese food joint on Wednesday, and Pie-your-arse joint on Fridays (with 30p off a pint on fridays ).

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Nope if you are under 25 you get IDed at pubs and anywhere else that sells alcohol. The ID must have a photo on it.

When I was 16 I use to lie about my age and would sit in pubs with my friends'. You would behave so you wouldn't get chucked out. They would ID us about twice a year and we shared ID as it didn't need to be photo Id.

Basically the pub taught us how to drink responsibly.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Nothing more annoying than some hipster tw@ going to a crowded bar and trying to get a latte.

foooook off down to Bean Machine you $%$£

Comment

Working...
                    X