• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Things aren't what they used to be"

Collapse

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Its a cross between sanitising it so the horrors of war are hidden and giving them dignity depends who says it. Hence the poetry.
    Studied Owen (and Brooke, Sassoon, efc) during my a levels, the only poetry I've actually enjoyed reading. Powerful stuff.

qh

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think it's used to give them more dignity, not to make it easier to hear?
    Its a cross between sanitising it so the horrors of war are hidden and giving them dignity depends who says it. Hence the poetry.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    “We’ve chewed the dirt and dodged the rockets, are you going to tell me to wear a poppy? I’m a veteran, I’ll decide” | an alternative view

Here's an alternative view.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    "The fallen" is another use of language that annoys me. They didn't fall. They were killed. Shot, blown up, perhaps gassed, crushed or burned to death whilst terrified, or just died from disease, cold and starvation.
    I think it's used to give them more dignity, not to make it easier to hear?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    : I completely missed it last year - lost track of time.

Year before they sounded the fire alarm, so it was easy to observe.
    Building announcement here 10 mins before then 1 min before and after here.
    Past years at MOD and Military sites observance is unsurprisingly complete.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    "The fallen" is another use of language that annoys me. They didn't fall. They were killed. Shot, blown up, perhaps gassed, crushed or burned to death whilst terrified, or just died from disease, cold and starvation.
    We'd need a lot more minutes to remember all of those categories.

But yes, you're right, the use of language is a powerful tool.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
    Pro patria mori.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    one minute was a time of thanksgiving for those who had returned alive, the second minute was to remember the fallen

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Either didn't know this or had forgotten:

Two minute silence
    Never knew that.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    The Aussies only do a 1 minute silence. Is that because they can't shut up for two minutes?
    Either didn't know this or had forgotten:

one minute was a time of thanksgiving for those who had returned alive, the second minute was to remember the fallen
    Two minute silence

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Email at clientco this morning:

Not sure what to think of this country anymore to be fair, I saw very few people wearing poppies in West London this morning it makes me
    On the other hand, it annoys me that EVERYONE on TV seemingly HAS TO wear a poppy.

They had Bruno Senna (Brazilian ex-F1 drvier, related to the famous Senna) doing a piece on his home country for Sky's F1 coverage, and even he had one.

If it's forced, it means nothing.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Can you do that annoying upward inflection at the end of every sentence, Mate?
    That drives me mad!

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    It is. Was there any reminder that it was 11am? If you're working/chatting/getting coffee, it's easy to lose track of time.
    None at all, it was all very half-hearted

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    My sister and her family are, so I'm allowed.
    Can you do that annoying upward inflection at the end of every sentence, Mate?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Are you an Aussie?
    My sister and her family are, so I'm allowed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X